I dont know what i did

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Recently i went offroading and after the fact decided to clean my engine bay. I bought some cheap engine degreaser from pepboys and sprayed my engine while it was hot and than hosed it off. I drove it around for about 2 miles and than looked under the hood and what i did didnt make a difference at all. I tried doing this a couple more times using numerous products.

After the last time my truck starting acting up. When i was barley on the gas the rpms would fluctuate and i didnt know why.

I parked my truck in the driveway and when i went to go start it up again it wouldnt start, it would crank and than die down, crank and than die, all while the lights would dim alot.

I dont know what i did,

Did i get too much water on the computers?

Did i get water in my intake?

Alternator?

Coil?

I have no idea whats wrong, please help

1998 GMC ECSB K1500 5.7 vortec

Sent from my Vortec powered iPhone

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Might have water in a plug wire or inside the dist cap. Check each end of the wires an see of u have moisture an put die electric grease on each end also. I always put a thin layer at the base of my dist so it fils the gap from the base to the bottom of dist cap

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, thanks alot man. Think it could be anything worse?

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
It's a starting point atleast lol. I had this happen in my old jeep when I first bought it an took it out for some fun.

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
take off the cap, its pretty simple, and is very common to get moisture in it when washing an engine.

when washing, stay away from distributors, throttle bodies and aircleaners. if doing it at home, use a plastic bag over the distributor to keep water out.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What he said ^^^^^

Put it on a battery charger while you are drying everything.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Its pretty much all been said.

What most people don't realize is that under hood stuff is not water proof, its water resistant at best.

Its not meant to be "washed", immersed or have a steady stream of water shot at it.

Thats why they put it all under a hood, behind a rad panel, between two inner fenders and (for the most part) about 3 feet off the ground.

:)

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely flooded it, i pulled one of the plugs and you can really smell the gas, im gonna replace all the plugs tonight or tommorow, hopefully than she'll start up

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just pull them out and spray them with some parts cleaner, check that the electrode and ground are clean, and regap them. Should work just fine, as long as they aren't worn.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk