Did someboby know what it is??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoxyItaly

Reaction score
Hello, i'm writing from Italy, as i wrote in the presentation i just become owner of a GMC Sierra SLE 5,7V8 from 1989.
We are restoring it and we found the valve in pics, did some one know what is it and where he can feet?? I download the service manual but it is really difficult for me to understand.
When we start up the truck and he is cold , does not run very well and we found the alarm "check engine service", when become warm he run perfectly. Can you help me? did you know if there is some diagnosis instrument?
tks for now and sorry for my english.. for sure it is better than your italian :p

Attachments

• FFCF1B85-6736-4BAB-8FA1-5944DC166713.jpeg
    FFCF1B85-6736-4BAB-8FA1-5944DC166713.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 61

RoxyItaly

Reaction score

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That is the EGR solenoid as Donald has pictured. The side of it with just one vacuum fitting attaches to the vacuum source on the TBI at the front right, and the other end attaches to the EGR valve. There is one smooth vacuum fitting that is meant to be left open, nothing attached to it. This is the vent port (originally has a small foam filter but most disappear after a few years.)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

(Unless there's a difference in the emissions package for the market that truck was originally sold, there's no EVAP purge solenoid in a 1989 model. Didn't hit the scene until 1994, and that one lives on the intake to the side of the thermostat housing.)

Richard

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tks to every body... did someone know if there is any instrument to make diagnosis? and where i can buy it?
You can use a battery and and apply suction to it. it is a simple "on/off" solenoid, when power is applied you can hear it click and it should block air flow.

(i used a 9v battery and sucked on the tube like a straw)

ETA maybe you are looking for engine diagnostics.. for this you will need an ALDL cable and software for a laptop... there is a plug under the dashboard like newer odb cars, but older version.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My suggestion is to get it hooked back up as shown in the pictures, clear your error codes, and drive the truck a few times. See what symptoms and codes come back, if any, and troubleshoot from there.

Richard

RoxyItaly

Reaction score
My suggestion is to get it hooked back up as shown in the pictures, clear your error codes, and drive the truck a few times. See what symptoms and codes come back, if any, and troubleshoot from there.

Richard
but to clear error codes I need to have an instrument. did someone know where I can buy it that instrument?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tjclar86