I am having some play/wobble on my column shifter and the lever will not go all the way down to 1.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barrera92

Reaction score
I have a 1996 C1500

As the title says I have some wobble on the shaft/lever of the column shifter. I added some pictures and a video showing it and I cant figure out how to fix it. A saw a video on an older model and a newer model but both have slightly different systems from what I can tell. The newer one had a bolt that could be tightend and the older one a pin that could be punched out and replaced. However, as you can see in the video, I can jiggle the lever but I don't see any movement on the pin or where the bolt would be. The movement seems to come from where the rubber boot end on the lever. I can tug on it slightly and it'll squeak and jiggle, but it won't move from where it is connected to the column. I've seen the whole control module(GM 26091246) for sale but it doesn't come with the lever. I did see one that came with the lever online one time but I can't find it anymore. Id rather fix it than buy a whole new part because money is tight right now. Any help would be really appriciated. This is driving me crazy and want to fix it.

Video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Image of bottom portion of the shift control module where the pin is. Looking up towards the ceiling.

https://cl.ly/2n1N121m0u0f

Image of the top portion of the module looking down towards the ceiling.

https://cl.ly/2O1V3j3a0K0n

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Crawl underneath, find the shift cable, then follow it to where it hooks onto the trans and try taking loose the white lock button and shoving the two peices together. If that doesnt work it sounds like your shift cable is bad.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's a single torx bolt holding the lever to the shifter assembly inside the column. Remove the lower plastic shroud to get to it; there are small torx bolts recessed into the bottom of that. Here's a pic of the bolt holding the lever -

Tighten that sucker up before the threads are ruined.

Richard

Barrera92

Reaction score
There's a single torx bolt holding the lever to the shifter assembly inside the column. Remove the lower plastic shroud to get to it; there are small torx bolts recessed into the bottom of that. Here's a pic of the bolt holding the lever -

Tighten that sucker up before the threads are ruined.

Richard
Wow I didn't even see that second torx bolt. I only saw the pin below it. This is so much easier than tapping out the pin and replacing it. Damn. Thanks. I should have pulled the rubber boot further down. I'm going to use thread locker on it now.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
A little drop or 2 of dish soap on the inner lip of the boot, & it can be slid right up outa the way to the handle.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah TBH I can't remember if you need to pull the plastic shroud off or not, to get to that one bolt. Might be able to get it without any disassembly other than pulling the boot back.

Richard

Barrera92

Reaction score
Yeah TBH I can't remember if you need to pull the plastic shroud off or not, to get to that one bolt. Might be able to get it without any disassembly other than pulling the boot back.

Richard
Is this how I can replace the rubber boot? It's torn and I found a new one for a good price. I'm assuming I can remove the bolt, the lever will be able to be removed and I can replace the boot then. Am I correct in assuming that? The center hole in the new rubber boot looks really small so I don't think it slips over the handle end of the lever. I think you need to remove it and slip it from the thin end of the lever.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Is this how I can replace the rubber boot? It's torn and I found a new one for a good price. I'm assuming I can remove the bolt, the lever will be able to be removed and I can replace the boot then. Am I correct in assuming that? The center hole in the new rubber boot looks really small so I don't think it slips over the handle end of the lever. I think you need to remove it and slip it from the thin end of the lever.

Yup!
Gotta remove the arm to get that boot off.
I made a new one outa leather for mine.
And covered the shifter handle in leather, too.

Barrera92

Reaction score
Yup!
Gotta remove the arm to get that boot off.
I made a new one outa leather for mine.
And covered the shifter handle in leather, too.

Lol. I just noticed "bitchin stichin". Nice! Thank you very much. Do you do upholstery or something?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yea. For the last 38 damn years! Lol!
Was just gonna do this till I figured out what I really wanted to do, and then...I went and got good at it!
That white seat in my avie was an original '56 Ford F-100 bench that I redesigned & stitched up. Looked like it was from a school bus originally.