Hydroboost swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willinthe985

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, almost done with the swap. Everything's in and connected except for the brake lines to the master cylinder. Can I bleed the hydroboost before bleeding the master cylinder and the brakes? Or should I bleed the master cylinder before the booster? I know I should have bench bled it out the truck, but I don't have a vise.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have 2 hydroboost truck's and have worked on many other's, I suggest you bleed the booster first, and then bleed the master cylinder. Since you didn't bench bleed the master you can also crack the lines loose at the master, and put a rag underneath them, have a helper push on the pedal, and bleed it just like you would bleed the lines at the wheel's. Just snug them and then pump them up, then crack the line until the pedal is on the floor, then tighten the the line and repeat until you you have most of the air out, it's not a perfect method, but I have done this several times and it does work.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I usually put a line from the master and bend it back into the top and slowly press the pedal and release. works good and if your easy on the pedal makes no mess and requires no helper.

willinthe985

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new master cylinder came with plugs to bleed it. Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure it would be ok to bleed the hydro system before the brakes.

willinthe985

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now I'm scratching my head. Got the power steering working fine, but the brake pedal is returning really slow. It speeds up a little if I turn the steering wheel to lock. Checked the fluid level and it was foamed, so hopefully it just needs more, but I put a whole 32 oz bottle in it. No leaks or anything. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Will