JB5 with hydroboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonyd984

Reaction score
New to the forum. Just picked up a 95 2 door tahoe 4x4. A previous owner did some work to it. 2 inch lift, on 33s, 4.10 gears front and rear. Has Vortec heads, aluminum intake, long tube headers, true dual exhaust, tuner chip. They also changed the vacuum booster to hydroboost. Has brake code JB5. I dont have the best pedal feel, and stopping power is just ok. Has fresh fluid, and i did a full bleed. Is there any recommendations, or anything to look into to improve braking performance? I cant get in touch with the previous owner to see what if anything else was done to the brake system. Any insight would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20231101_130234.jpg
    20231101_130234.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Hydroboost "feels" different at the pedal than vacuum boost; at least on my '97 K2500 with hydroboost, and the two thousand other vehicles I've driven that have vacuum boost.

2. WHICH ABS system does this have? EBC4? Photos?

3. Was the ABS bled with a scan tool?

4. Wild Guess: JB5 brakes with bigass tires is not going to be very effective, especially at the rear.

tonyd984

Reaction score
Im not sure if pedal was ever changed. Ive driven dozens of trucks with hydroboost as well. Pedal feels lower than it should. I understand bigger tires would give me a worse feel when trying to stop. Wasnt bled with a scan tool, just manually, i will have to get a scanner thats pre OBD2. im not opposed to buying tools, especially because i will be keeping this truck. Not sure of the abs system, ill snap a pic of it when i can if it helps. Again i appreciate everything

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well if you have the crappy 10" drums that don't hold an adjustment that's going to be a factor. But the pedal is an important part of the hydroboost swap as they both have different pivot points.