How to prolong knocking motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Bone

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want thickkk.. check out Nulon 40w70 engine oil :)

JavaMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been running Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 in all my stuff, from my '88 Town Car (302), to my '89 Firebird. No issues, doesn't seem to like it or hate it any more than whatever the PO filled the crankcase with but it makes me feel good. I also use Motorkote at every oil change now. I use Wix oil filters, the ones for extended drain intervals yet I change my oil every 5k. Oil is cheap and easy to change. Even when it was -10f a few months ago, it only took a second before I saw the gage register pressure..

I have used Restore, that stuff is super goopy when cold. I've seen videos where it does indeed increase compression. I tried using it in hopes to reduce oil consumption. It might've helped for two tanks of gas but that was it with the old 350 in my truck. I doubt I'd use that again unless I knew I had low compression and didn't care about the engine. I used it in my lawn mower to see if it would help that with oil consumption. When I checked the oil before the next cut, I noticed metal shavings and subsequently, rod knock. I changed the oil, put Motorkote in and while shavings are still present, no knock under load. I'm sure it'll die eventually but at least it doesn't sound like death any more.

Oh and 15w40 isn't any thicker than 10w40 at the same hot operating temperature. I wish people would stop repeating that nonsense. However, 15w40 is indeed thicker than 10w40 when cold. That's the difference. The "w" stands for winter; that at a specified temperature (32f maybe? I forget what the spec is.) the given oil BEHAVES like a straight 15 or 10 weight oil would. So make no mistake, those oils will be plenty viscous when cold.
The metal flakes may not be what you think they are. There are glittery flakes of stuff in the freshly opened can of restore. That's why it says shake the can before opening, because that glittery stuff settles when sitting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Oh I shook that shizz up real good, and had the can sitting in the sunlight to warm up beforehand so it would flow better. Hope you're right though, I've changed the oil 2 or 3 times since and I still get what looks like copper glitter on the dip stick, and a lot of it. Still burns just as much oil too. Oh well, I've started feeding that thing used oil from my truck now that it's on it's last toe.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply yall but I went ahead and changed my oil to Mobil 1 10w40 with a mobil1 filter. The knockin has great reduced and the oil pressure has increased as well. When warm the motor idles at 25 and when drivin it stays right at 35-40. I know this isn't a fix to my solution but it has definitely helped I don't hear the knocking near as bad

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might consider replacing a quart with Lucas oil stabilizer. It won't fix a rod knock, but I have seen it quiet down some really loud lifter clatter. Hell, it could be snake oil for all I know, but I use it in all of my vehicles.