How to MarkVIII your OBS on a budget..!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am running a Taurus fan with a summit 200ºon 180ºoff temp switch from summit on the high side with a 75amp bosch relay.

EmersonHart13

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read a big thread on fan swaps on full size chevy, the only ones that worked regularly were the Taurus and Mark VIII. Most guys used the push in probe for the radiator, I am guessing because it is simple.

I have never seen electric fans on a big block though... Not sure if it would work!

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea its all pretty much how u want to do it... I went this route bcuz I went through 3 hayden controllers (o'rileys) that kept burning out on me... So and those controllers get expensive after a while... So thats wen I did my homework and now here we are...

EmersonHart13

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea its all pretty much how u want to do it... I went this route bcuz I went through 3 hayden controllers (o'rileys) that kept burning out on me... So and those controllers get expensive after a while... So thats wen I did my homework and now here we are...

And it shows...

I like the integration into AC and using 2 speeds. I read a lot where they just used high all the time.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good one, do you know how much those volvo relays are rated for? the mark VIII pulls ALOT of amps, especially on startup, more than most e-fans around.

BTW, the Taurus fan is the same motor as the markVIII, with a different and slightly smaller blade design (16" vs 18"), both are excellent fans, I have a markVIII in mine, but I control it with the PCM...here's a couple schematics I drew if people are looking to build their own harness or something:

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?1790-E-fan-wiring-ideas

but there are many different ways it could be done, if people are doing this, just make sure the components used are rated for a good amount of amperage.

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice mod, good work! Why did ya decided to delete the clutch fan?
I read alot about increased mpgs, hp, colder a/c, faster warm ups, and such so just figured wat the heck...

And it shows...

I like the integration into AC and using 2 speeds. I read a lot where they just used high all the time.

And thank u... Yea running the high at all times is definitely overkill... The low works wonders...

Usually it is mpg, hp, and it warms up faster in the winter. Might be more reasons..?

Exactly nailed it... Plus a simple mod and inexpensive...

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At Aloicious... I couldnt find where, but I read sumwhere that the Volvo relays are rated at 50 or 75 amps... I havent experienced any issues so far... Efans been wired up for about 2 months now...