How to lower a 4x4 truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sxcruz

Reaction score
I have a 1990 GMC sierra K1500 short bed single cab, that i want to lower nothing crazy though maybe a 3/5 drop or 4/6 nothing lower than that though. Let me know if you know any good kits or ways to do it. I also am thinking about converting my 6 lug to a 5 lug to get some 90 style centerline wheels, let me know if you have any tips on that, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6520.jpeg
    IMG_6520.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With that extensive list of invasive mods, you should sell the 4x4 and buy a 2wd.
For a "how to", dial up YouTube and watch Powernation's Project Red Tide...

Any lowering the front more than 3" will have you riding directly on the bumps stops.

Any lowering the rear more than 4" will require an axle flip and a c-notch, and likely extensive bed floor clearancing

Best of luck with the 6 to 5 lug swap. That's dramatically harder than a 5 to 6.

Yeah, so have you found a 2wd yet?

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got your own machine shop? With a five axis CNC you can build your hubs. A one time order.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s not hard, this guy simply flipped over his T bar keys and drilled a dimple on them. He was able to get about a 5” drop up front for free and he was able to get it aligned without adjustable upper A arms which I would have assumed he would have needed. I asked him that’s how I know.

In the back you can use the same method as the 2wd. An axle flip kit gives you a 6” drop, adjust it with a shackle if needed and check the pinion angle. Shim if needed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got your own machine shop? With a five axis CNC you can build your hubs. A one time order.
No need for fancy machine to build custom hubs. I built a custom set for my truck from plate steel with very limited resources at the time and they worked great.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well this is different. Normally the 4X4 guys want to jack 'em up into the clouds. I see an all wheel drive race truck coming on,50's on the front,45's on the rear.

BCChevyZ71

Reaction score
Not to revive a dead thread but I went 3+" on the front with belltech keys and 5" rear with belltech drop spring hangers and a 3" drop shackle just clears bed floor two weeks in lots of bumpy roads I looked yesterday and it hasn't touched the bed floor and I'm still off the bump stops...I can provide a complete parts list but it drives and handles better then stock and a million times better then when I had the torsion bars cranked with 33s on it