How To: Install a Compass / Temperature Rear View Mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it has a torx screw in it, should be the same, GM changed mirror brackets in the mid 90's, a far as i know all mirrors 95 up fit the same bracket.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bracket on my '94 matched the '98 mirror I put on.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds likely that you are right on the 800 mounts. We know anyone with an 800 to confirm?

Let me rephrase that. I'm positive that some mirrors from 800s fit. I've removed several mirrors from 800s and sold them here on the forum. What I don't know is if the later model 800s used the same mount. My parents have an 03 burb with the on-star mirror (Useless) If I get a second I might unbolt it off and see if the mount looks the same.

if it has a torx screw in it, should be the same, GM changed mirror brackets in the mid 90's, a far as i know all mirrors 95 up fit the same bracket.

I just put a comp-temp mirror in my brothers 94 yesterday and it bolted right up. His stock mirror had a torx screw. AFAIK all GMT-400s and at least some if not all 800s are interchangeable.

Last edited:

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
I would really like to get a dual display mirror with the map lights.

Nice write up! Good luck on your mission.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting ready to install one of these. Great writeup. Any idea on what gauge wire to use? Can't really tell what it is. 18ga?!

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Going to install my mirror early next week and I got 18ga wire from Ace. It looks to me that's about the size it is.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Ok...so I got all the wires run and before I put the grill back on I decided to test the mirror. Turn the key and the mirror comes on as it should, but I get an "SC" when I press the temp. I thought the sensor up front was bad so I wired another I had from a yard pull and I get the SAME DAMN THING!

Every wire was soldered and heat shrinked prior to running the wires. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? I highly doubt two different sensors (in perfect condition) would be bad. All the wire from the cab to the sensor was run through factory loom and loom I bought. FML....

FYI- The compass works flawlessly.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
So I disconnected the two wires running to the temp sender, and wired the sender directly where I soldered into the factory harness (above mirror) and BAM, I have temp. I have no idea why there is a problem in those wires because they're brand new. I don't see anywhere that is kinked or has a gouge in it. Anyway, now I need more wire. Awesome.

Found this: http://allscion.com/images/rostra/installation-instructions.pdf

At the very bottom it shows troubleshooting.