How To: Install a Compass / Temperature Rear View Mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes it does have the LCD display in the corner. I think so too now that you mention it. thanks for the help.
I'm guessing I have to hook up the wires accordingly; power (red), ground (black) and the backup lights (light green)?

Yeah, that sounds right on the wiring. I think that these mirrors started on the 1995 trucks as an option. The 1997 has a button for the compass rather than that plastic switch, and there were no Com/temp mirrors until 1998. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Also which other models of GM cars have the same Comp/temp mirror in them?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
* repost. from 'comp temp mirrors' by 96twodoor. *

Was at the wreckers yesterday & saw comp/temp mirrors in Buick Park Avenues, higher optioned Astro vans, Grand Ams, Grand prix's, Cadillacs, GMT800's, & 900's. Sadly most had been in front end collisions or had had the whole front ends removed, so there were no sensors to go with. But just to let you know that you don't have to use a mirror from a truck to fit in our trucks. Any GM mirror should be able to work, if you can get all the parts from the donor.
Also saw a couple of mirrors with map lights built in.

They are not exactly the same, but they'll work.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If they are different, you can try to get the mount to the mirror you want from the donor. They are just glued on. I've seen glass shop guys just grab the mirror while it's attached to the windshield & give it a good yank down & they come off. Last time I did that, I ended up smashing my knuckles into a taxi meter! (Dad had cabs) A putty knife & a few taps with a small hammer will also knock 'em off. You can try using nail polish remover to soften the glue for the mount too. Some glass shops carry a selection of mounts.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they are different, you can try to get the mount to the mirror you want from the donor. They are just glued on. I've seen glass shop guys just grab the mirror while it's attached to the windshield & give it a good yank down & they come off. Last time I did that, I ended up smashing my knuckles into a taxi meter! (Dad had cabs) A putty knife & a few taps with a small hammer will also knock 'em off. You can try using nail polish remover to soften the glue for the mount too. Some glass shops carry a selection of mounts.

thats the whole key, getting the mount off the class without destroying one or both. So nail polish remover works?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yea, just drip it in by the top of the mount. Nail polish remover breaks down 'crazy glue' too. I've used it to unstick fingers when messing with that stuff.
It's not that hard to get the mounts off. Most wreckers around here are not too concerned with the windshields, so if it breaks no biggie. They usually can't get the glass out without breaking it anyhow. Honestly though, the mounts do come out pretty easy. Usually without the windshield breaking.
Buddies of mine that are pretty tall have had the mount relocated up or down in order to see out the windshield better.
The glue to replace the mount can be had at pretty well any hardware store. Up here in Canada, Canadian Tire carries it. Comes in a container & tube like crazy glue. Called 'rearview mirror glue'. Pretty easy to remember that!

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder why they called it "rearview mirror glue"... seems like an odd name to me!
breaking the windshield at the wrecker's isnt my big concern, its breaking MY windshield!

Seriously though, thanks for all your help! All this being said, Im glad I found a GMT 400 Comp/temp mirror so i dont have to mess with the glue.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder why they called it "rearview mirror glue"... seems like an odd name to me!
breaking the windshield at the wrecker's isnt my big concern, its breaking MY windshield!

Seriously though, thanks for all your help! All this being said, Im glad I found a GMT 400 Comp/temp mirror so i dont have to mess with the glue.

I'm almost positive that the gmt-800 mirrors fit on our windshield mounts. I don't know about the 900s. There aren't many 900s at my local yards and the few that are there are W/T from the railroad or something so no fancy stuff like comp/temp mirrors.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm almost positive that the gmt-800 mirrors fit on our windshield mounts. I don't know about the 900s. There aren't many 900s at my local yards and the few that are there are W/T from the railroad or something so no fancy stuff like comp/temp mirrors.

Sounds likely that you are right on the 800 mounts. We know anyone with an 800 to confirm?