How to find Overhead console holes in an Ext cab pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
the overhead should be the same in all trucks and suburbans tahoes and such. for power just run 2wires power and ground to the fuse box area. simple enough!
i need to find another one of these to fiberglass for my gauges.
also good idea to be aware if you buy a overhead console that doesnt match then check the backside and see if the two panels are melted tabs hold them together OR if its screwed together with screws. it makes it ALOT EASIER to reupholster! the older type is a PITA cause ya gotta break the plastic tabs and then glue them all back together which sucks! been there done that and wont be glueing again.LOL

like any mods its easier to cut a small hole first and then make it larger. easier to remove more than add.LOL

ALSO just to add to this DIY thread. if you are putting in a SHORT STUBBY overhead console... most have the tabs up front to hold them as well. ;)
tho downfall.... they dont have as much space for gauges as a full console does :( but still good for voltage displays or switch boards custom installs! :)
You must be registered for see images attach

thats how i want to instal my gauges but they BARELY FIT even flush on the face. i gotta do some fiberglass work to space mine out about 1/4-1/2inch more for clearance so i can fit all 3! i can fit two tightly up there but hoses are bent sharp on the roof kinda pinching them, but with all 3 they wont fit. :(

ALSO you can swap out standard garage door doors for the nice homelink setup and just tap into the power and ground from the map lights. i love mine! easiest and best upgrade for any OBS truck!

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright before i continue to cut my headliner i gotta ask, theres gonna be a huge hole from the front of the console to the back right? meaning you cut that much out of the headliner??

heres what i have now. just dont wanna cut to much and it up, its not setting flush on the roof bc where the lights are bc of the cover, do i just cut an outline of the console?
i know the cuts arent straight and pretty

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Up front you just gotta cut the headliner enough to fit the light part in. No need to cut an outline

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Up front you just gotta cut the headliner enough to fit the light part in. No need to cut an outline

The back just slides into the headliner or into the metal slots??

bc mine wont slide into the metal slots therefor theres a gap between the top of the console and headliner, but i did cut an additional hole for the lights

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes into the slots. You have to put the tabs in the slots first before the front screw

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes into the slots. You have to put the tabs in the slots first before the front screw

will i have to cut more on the back bc when i try to slid it into the metal tabs it doesnt go flush to the roof, guess i gotta cut a little on the front for some more wiggle room, do you happen to have pics of the headliner showing how big of holes you cut?

Steve83

Reaction score
Look across the top of the console when it's NOT installed, and see if there's anything close to protruding above the edges. If there is, you'll need to cut away the headliner in those areas to make room. IIRC, the sunglass tray needs some headspace.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look across the top of the console when it's NOT installed, and see if there's anything close to protruding above the edges. If there is, you'll need to cut away the headliner in those areas to make room. IIRC, the sunglass tray needs some headspace.

yeah i did that for the light covers, it didnt look like the rest even protrudes out further then the edges of the console