How often to change fuel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, gotcha. If memory serves me right, what you should do is remove the gas cap, therefore de-pressurizing the tank. The fuel has to climb up (or be forced out) the pump/sending unit to get out, and be equalizing the pressure, you minimize the amount of fuel lost.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Ok, gotcha. If memory serves me right, what you should do is remove the gas cap, therefore de-pressurizing the tank. The fuel has to climb up (or be forced out) the pump/sending unit to get out, and be equalizing the pressure, you minimize the amount of fuel lost.

Yeah I do that too, forgot to throw that in there. There is quite a large amount of fuel in the line behind the filter, just waiting to soak you. :banghead:

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
You can't overkill with it. It's a $12 part. Twice a year or so won't break the bank. That's what I would recommend. But then again if you put thousands of miles on it per month, doing it more often will be beneficial.

Also, if you get a warrantied one from a parts house, you can warranty swap it.

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I change mine 1-2 times a year. try to do it after winter fuel changes to summer and after summer fuel changes to winter fuel...