How I fixed my trip odometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I needed to replace my headlight switch yesterday so while I had the bezel out I went ahead and fixed my trip odometer while I was in there. It had not worked since I have owned the truck and it was something that has been bothering me. I picked up I mint dash from a 91ish truck the last time I was at the PNP and while I was there I also got the guts from the odometer/trip odometer. There was a minor change from the donor truck and mine that I will show below.

Pull the cluster. If you don't know how to do this then stop here :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Remove the plastic face plate

Remove two torx screws that hold the bezel on

You're left with this

Now, you need to unplug the odometer motor plug on the back first, then carefully pry the black face plate away from the white plastic. It will pop out you just need to go slow and careful to not break anything.

The odometer is driven by its small motor and the trip odometer is connected to it via a small plastic joint. You can see here how mine were not connected anymore

In my '94 the two shafts are round with one flat and the small connector is shaped the same, just a female version. The donor stuff I got has a round shaft with a split in the middle and it uses a small spring with a tang that connects the two. You can see the difference here

What happened to mine was one of the large gears had cracked and bound up the trip odometer. In order to replace it with the donor I needed to modify it a little. I simply took the spilt shaft and squeezed it together at the end. This allowed it to slide into my factory connector and that is able to drive it.

All put back together

The next time I am at the PNP I will look for a newer truck, hopefully a '94 with a good odometer and swap that in so I will be like factory, but this has now been tested for 50+ miles and tracks perfectly.

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up now I see the difference how the trip set is driven between the 1991 with a spring in the 92 to 94 with the plastic drive.