How do you change lightbulbs in the AC controls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 95 has dials not electronic.

Everything works except the back lighting. The recirc. and AC buttons light up when pushed but the dials don't light up. I took it out to look at it and it seems like the tiny bulbs are ok. But how do I change them? Where do I buy them from also.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Oreillys here carries the bulbs. Be careful which ones you get tho, the ones in the buttons are different than the ones for the backlights.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The little gray plastic bits on the back are the bulbs; they just twist out, new ones twist in providing you get the right ones. That row across the top is the backlighting; there may be another couple down low. The ones for the buttons are pretty obvious as they'll be right behind the buttons.

You must be registered for see images

Biggest problem is not breaking the crap out of the super brittle plastic of the controls while you remove, then reinstall them. Expect to break or at least crack the retainer tabs or locator pins.

Those are 96-up controls pictured; if your 95 still has the original controls they look slightly different (larger circuit board, different connectors) but are still essentially the same setup. Many 95's the controls have failed and have been replaced with 96-up using an adapter harness.

In fact here's one with that adapter harness...and the top row of bulbs removed:
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Yes, but they are a slightly different bulb. The factory base on them is black and they have a colored coating on them that makes the buttons light up orange.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have never seen it for sale separately, though it probably is available if you hunt hard enough. I've used several different combinations of keywords and can't turn up jack.

It comes with a new 1996-up style controller that is marketed as a 1995 unit, since the 1995 unit is no longer made. If you google ACDelco 1572267 that's the official part # for 1995 A/C controls, and the picture you'll see is a 1996-up unit with the harness I pictured above. (1572266 for one equipped w/rear defrost). By the way, $100 through Amazon for either one, currently...

Richard

Last edited: