Horn isn’t working-wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTramp

Preparing truck & camper for N. American trek
Reaction score
The horn on my 1998 k2500 5.7 has quit working. There’s a good chance it’s a wiring problem since it quit working after my wrestling to get new wire through hole in fire wall to mount fog lights. Does anyone have any experience with this wiring (no air bag) to suggest typical weak points where the wire may have come disconnected?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm fighting with the same problem in almost the exact same truck 98 K2500 with a 7.4 What was the culprit for you? The wire inside my steering wheel is all messed up and I'm looking to swap out the whole steering wheel (not a problem safety wise since this is a non airbag truck). This is a new to me truck and the red wire inside the steering wheel front cover looks suspiciously like the red wire that is dangling by itself under the dash [emoji1787]. I found the little 20 amp fuse for the horn was blown and swapped that out, and once I got the remote door lock key fob working I was hoping the horn would beep when I locked the truck but still nothing. I'm sorry nobody was able to help you out man!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'm fighting with the same problem in almost the exact same truck 98 K2500 with a 7.4 What was the culprit for you? The wire inside my steering wheel is all messed up and I'm looking to swap out the whole steering wheel (not a problem safety wise since this is a non airbag truck). This is a new to me truck and the red wire inside the steering wheel front cover looks suspiciously like the red wire that is dangling by itself under the dash [emoji1787]. I found the little 20 amp fuse for the horn was blown and swapped that out, and once I got the remote door lock key fob working I was hoping the horn would beep when I locked the truck but still nothing. I'm sorry nobody was able to help you out man!

I think there's a procedure for setting the remote entry fob to honk or not honk on the later 400 trucks. On the newer series 2000-06, it's in the driver's information center menu(the text message looking deal where the odometer displays if you have it set that way).

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Um, my '00 K3500 has a horn that doesn't work also. The PO wired a push switch on the dash. The first time I took it for inspection I asked the guy, and he said no problem. You just can't overreach to push it or something like that.

I looks gettho as hell, but it works, LOL .

Horn gets used a lot around here with all the idiots on the roads!

Last edited:

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there's a procedure for setting the remote entry fob to honk or not honk on the later 400 trucks. On the newer series 2000-06, it's in the driver's information center menu(the text message looking deal where the odometer displays if you have it set that way).
Not sure how well that picture will come out, but I got the 6 step procedure direct from the dealership. You're right about the horn chirp, this procedure says that if the key is in the "off" position that the horn will chirp which is how I set mine up when I programmed it (conversely if you have the key in the "on" position it will prevent the horn chirp).

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um, my '00 K3500 has a horn that doesn't work also. The PO wired a push switch on the dash. The first time I took it for inspection I asked the guy, and he said no problem. You just can't overreach to push it or something like that.

I looks gettho as hell, but it works, LOL .

Horn gets used a lot around here with all the idiots on the roads!
Do you have any pictures? That's honestly the route I'm looking to go, I'm more concerned with function over fashion [emoji1787]. I'm just trying to do the troubleshooting to see if the horn even works. I see references here on the forum to a site that had a bunch of wiring diagrams but it seems that website is now defunct (at least the wiring diagram portion of it).

I wonder where the OP is and how he got around to fixing his horn...?