The stupid horn question..!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

langkg

Reaction score
OK. This may be the dumbest question I’ve ever asked and frankly I’m embarrassed to even ask it…!!!

I have a 1994 GMC K1500 that I’ve done a lot of work to over the past year. Everything from a new 383 stroker and Performabuilt transmission and the list goes on. This project is now about 15 months since I tore it all apart.

Being a high mileage Michigan truck I also had to replace the radiator core support and core support mounts and frame brackets along with a bazillion other things.

I’m trying to button it back up and for the life of me I can’t remember where the driver side horn mounts!! The other horn is already mounted where it belongs on the outside of the center core support bracket.

I vaguely remember the other horn mounting inside of the core support on the driver side somewhere around the charcoal canister but I’m not positive. There are no holes lining up and I already scrapped the original core support so I have nothing to compare it to. It could be that the new aftermarket core support isn’t a perfect replica. Not sure. The wire harness connection would suggest my memory is close.

I can always pull out the drill and find a spot but would really like to know where it’s supposed to be!!!

Can anyone with a ‘94 share some pics..!!!!

Thanks!!

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Sorry that I can't help you. I read the title and was REALLY hoping you were going to ask if all these GMT400s came with wimpy *** sounding horns. Mine sounds like someone packed it with mud, wrapped it in duct tape, then put it in the bottom of a bucket of sand. I even swapped it for one off of my parts trucks and it sounds the same.

langkg

Reaction score
Sorry that I can't help you. I read the title and was REALLY hoping you were going to ask if all these GMT400s came with wimpy *** sounding horns. Mine sounds like someone packed it with mud, wrapped it in duct tape, then put it in the bottom of a bucket of sand. I even swapped it for one off of my parts trucks and it sounds the same.
LOL
actually the horn on my truck didn’t sound bad at all. I just have to figure out where it was supposed to be mounted!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have been through a bunch of horns on my 97. I have a set off of a Buick now, and I do like the dual tones. I just monted both horns on the center radiator support where the one horn used to be all by it self. IDK why GM put the horns in 2 different locations. Seem like the 2ed horn, used to be in a location that was hard to get to.

langkg

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
mines a 91, so hopefully this helps.
Thank you so much for the picture! I really appreciate it. That is pretty much what I remember and the connector from the harness was also telling me it had to be around there.

I’m not sure the aftermarket core support has the right holes but I’ll check in the morning. It’s 8 degrees out right now and the fireplace is cozy so it can wait….

Thanks again!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Odd location, I've never seen one there.

My '88 1500 single hi/low horn was up front, under the hood latch.
'98 Suburban 2500 was same single hi/low tone.
'00 Denali had 2, one under the hood latch, but the 2nd in by the (pass side) battery. Interesting segue, the front one was inop when I got it, so I installed the hi/low from the '88 (just a field truck now) and coupled it with the low note horn by the battery for a more pleasing tone

langkg

Reaction score
Odd location, I've never seen one there.

My '88 1500 single hi/low horn was up front, under the hood latch.
'98 Suburban 2500 was same single hi/low tone.
'00 Denali had 2, one under the hood latch, but the 2nd in by the (pass side) battery. Interesting segue, the front one was inop when I got it, so I installed the hi/low from the '88 (just a field truck now) and coupled it with the low note horn by the battery for a more pleasing tone
My ‘94 has one on the center radiator core support under the hood latch and one down low inside the driver side core support like Drunkcanuk posted. I have no idea which one is high and low tone but there are two.