Holy Crap!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
The vans are not too bad either. Remover the doghouse and the distributor is right there.

Sent from somewhere in MN

Makes sense to me. Do Astro-vans have dog houses? It's been years since I've even seen one on the road lol. I know they didn't come with a v-8, only the wobbly 4.3 v-6.

Edit - googled it - looks like they do! I stand corrected!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense to me. Do Astro-vans have dog houses? It's been years since I've even seen one on the road lol. I know they didn't come with a v-8, only the wobbly 4.3 v-6.

The express vans have them too

Sent from somewhere in MN

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score

I kinda like my V6. Sure, it's certainly no V8. It idles like crap, makes no 'real' HP, sounds like a tractor, but it's hard to argue with 24mpg! (imperial gallons) There's an Astro around here that has a 383 & a 6-71. Runs low 10's. Pretty good for a vehicle that's as aero-dynamic as a brick!

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
I kinda like my V6. Sure, it's certainly no V8. It idles like crap, makes no 'real' HP, sounds like a tractor, but it's hard to argue with 24mpg! (imperial gallons) There's an Astro around here that has a 383 & a 6-71. Runs low 10's. Pretty good for a vehicle that's as aero-dynamic as a brick!

My dad inherited my grandfather's 93 Cheyenne. It had the 4.3 V6 as well. It always idled rough, even when it had 30,000 miles on it. It eventually blew a headgasket, broke the motor-mounts, etc. It still ran though, on 4 or 5 cylinders. That didn't make an appreciable difference in the idle quality. lol.

As far as "real" horsepower - Meh, it's all relative. The V-8's tend to break a lot more drivetrain parts on these trucks, so it's a wash, as I see it. I find it a little silly, personally. We're not talking about dragster-quality power, only 210HP and 300lbs of torque. Why that is enough to tear up transmissions and other parts, at least to me, indicates some major cost-cutting/compromises on the part of the designers. At least the parts are cheap, because you *will* break stuff on these trucks..

Then again, I might be a little biased. My "other" car is a Speed3. 2.3L front wheel drive with 270HP and 263lbs of torque through a transmission the size of a pumpkin.

That and I grew up dumping 500+HP through Datsun drivetrains with no issues. The only transmission I ever trashed, ironically enough, was an American Borg-Warner T-5 (the factory "upgrade" for the 280zx turbos).

You see that a lot, by the way... The new Xterra "Off-Road Editions" are notorious for munching spider-gears when you are hard on them. The rear-end with the issues, in fact, is a Dana 44 that is the "heavy duty off road" upgrade. The base model rear ends are bulletproof. "Oops".

Last edited:

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Proof that you can fix a dead TBI truck on the side of the road.

...Just keep a coil, and ignition module onboard :deal:

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
Proof that you can fix a dead TBI truck on the side of the road.

...Just keep a coil, and ignition module onboard :deal:

Lol! Unfortunately, the distributor was *trashed*, so I had to just yank it and swap it out. But it *was* something I was able to do in a parking lot, with hand-tools.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
I pulled the distributor cap and the rotor looked pretty cooked. Then I pulled the module connector in the distributor and it literally crumbled in my hand. Then I noticed the reluctor shield was loose. Then I noticed there were chunks of the reluctor tone ring laying on the baseplate of the distributor. .

All of which are common on these trucks with high mileage, and doesn't affect driveabilty. They just keep running! :deal:

The only reason your truck fell on it's face was the distributor wasn't locked down

Lol! Unfortunately, the distributor was *trashed*, so I had to just yank it and swap it out. But it *was* something I was able to do in a parking lot, with hand-tools.

It wasn't that trashed, it didn't leave you stranded right???

:lol:

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
All of which are common on these trucks with high mileage, and doesn't affect driveabilty. They just keep running! :deal:

The only reason your truck fell on it's face was the distributor wasn't locked down

It wasn't that trashed, it didn't leave you stranded right???

:lol:

Hmm, no, it didn't leave me stranded at all. I have no idea how it ran as good as it did, with a shattered tone ring (i'm talking about chunks easily 1/2x1/2 inch long laying on the distributor baseplate). Besides that little shake occasionally at idle, the higher HC content in the exhaust, and that single time that it shut off while towing, it ran reasonably well.

I've never seen a distributor come apart like that. How it got *any* reference signal at all, is beyond me. Absolutely Unreal...