Holy Crap!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
By the way, lol, I figured out what caused the "faceplant" Saturday. I drove the Yeti to the auto parts store to replace a sketchy looking vacuum elbow. I was chatting with the folks who work there, and they suggested I pull the ignition module and have them test it.

No biggie, right?

I pulled the distributor cap and the rotor looked pretty cooked. Then I pulled the module connector in the distributor and it literally crumbled in my hand. Then I noticed the reluctor shield was loose. Then I noticed there were chunks of the reluctor tone ring laying on the baseplate of the distributor. Then I noticed the distributor wasn't locked down...

Holy C*##%t... I drove this thing from Colorado to Texas two weeks ago... I wonder how long it's been like that?

So... One new distributor later (changed in the parking lot and timed), and the truck runs great!

Ok. I'm a believer! It was tons easier to change that distributor out than I would have believed. It took 35 minutes from start to finish. These motors are freaking simple!

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
It runs pretty nice ;). Then again, the only signs of an issue were a slightly elevated HC number at idle during emissions testing (it still passed) and sometimes the tiniest little shake, also at idle. It never threw a code. It normally averages 18-19 mpg highway. Hell, I put 200+ miles on it yesterday at 75+ MPH!

It did try to shut off on Saturday while towing a trailer, but I cycled the key and it picked right back up.

Regarding buying: I bought it in Texas three years ago, but loaned it to my ex Father in law for a year.

Last edited:

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
x2

And I LOVE simple fixes!

Well...normally replacing an entire distributor wouldn't be a simple fix. We just get lucky in that there is enough room in the truck to get to it, lol. I can't imagine how much fun the same job would be in an Astro-van or a Caprice, lol..

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vans are not too bad either. Remover the doghouse and the distributor is right there.

Sent from somewhere in MN