Holley door shell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a new Holley door shell in the new year.
Anyone have any insight on these?
I tried finding a review on them but came up short.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have you compared the cost of the new door plus shipping to any possible sources of a good OEM door shipped from a boneyard?

Your best bet of having a door shell fit your truck properly is an OEM door from a very close to same year model. Stamping dies wear, and later model doors don't like to fit early model cabs, in my experience. A brand new aftermarket door could even be more challenging to make it fit well.

If the Holley offering is intended for later models, your exterior door handle will likely not fit properly, as the opening enlarged around 1996 or so.

Richard

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you compared the cost of the new door plus shipping to any possible sources of a good OEM door shipped from a boneyard?

Your best bet of having a door shell fit your truck properly is an OEM door from a very close to same year model. Stamping dies wear, and later model doors don't like to fit early model cabs, in my experience. A brand new aftermarket door could even be more challenging to make it fit well.

If the Holley offering is intended for later models, your exterior door handle will likely not fit properly, as the opening enlarged around 1996 or so.

Richard
Thanks for your insight. It's the same advice I've given others!!!! Lol
Woman works at a boneyard, and I've asked her to find me one, I don't know how hard she looked...lol.
After I posted that, i tracked a few trucks down at the pick n pulls an hour away, and I few at another boneyard in the came city. Gonna reach out to them and see what they are asking..I have the week off, so hopefully drag one home by the end of it . The repop would a last desperate grasp attempt to get one.
Up north, it's hard to find something not rusted out or beat up. There is a OBS Facebook group for my province, gonna see if the boy can join as I don't have Facebook.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would stay away from an aftermarket door at all costs if possible. They can be a fitment nightmare besides being lightweight and tinny. The down sides of OEM doors are the welded hinges. Gm replacement hinges are bolt on but you can recreate the same by drilling the spot welds 1/2 and separating the hinge and bolt back in with 3/8 bolts to give some wiggle room. A door from on truck just doesn't alway pin on the next one with out issue. I thought your rig was pretty clean so wondering what issues does the door have.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Definitely going to put some effort into grabbing an OE one before I head the aftermarket route. I was having a "moment" probably brought on by a few too many wobbly pops...lol.

It's got a big nasty dent due to some a$$hole backing into it over 20 years ago, hit n run. Insurance would have covered it and then I mentioned that I was going to trade school in a few weeks and didn't have the money to spare for the deductible. They said I had a year, but then said they would cut me a cheque instead if I wanted, needed the cash, so I took it. Didn't think I'd take 2 decades to fix it!!! Lol

It's kinda hard to see in pics, even my buddy of over a decade was wondering why I needed a door. He's been in my garage a LOT, and been in it a few times. He didn't notice.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with @Hipster that you should avoid aftermarket doors if possible. Not to be rude, but your door doesn't look bad to me. If you don't have issues with the door opening/shutting, I'd keep it as is. I have a few dents in my truck from its past life and I like the worn and beat look. However, if you're really looking for a replacement, have you considered driving to the States for a new door? IDK how close you live to the border, but you'd have better luck finding more GMT400 body parts down here than you would up there.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with @Hipster that you should avoid aftermarket doors if possible. Not to be rude, but your door doesn't look bad to me. If you don't have issues with the door opening/shutting, I'd keep it as is. I have a few dents in my truck from its past life and I like the worn and beat look. However, if you're really looking for a replacement, have you considered driving to the States for a new door? IDK how close you live to the border, but you'd have better luck finding more GMT400 body parts down here than you would up there.
Lol....not rude at all. I think that the paint color hides it very well. But I am planning on painting it hopefully next year sometime, a different color that will show it for sure.

There is also a crowbar dent at the top where some friggin low life scumbag pried it open to steal my stereo years ago. And from the hit, it bent the top out so it doesn't seal very well, lots of wind noise on the highway. Even after I jammed a 2x4 in between the door and body and pushed it back as much as possible.

I'm about an 8hr drive from the border, and that's as far as I can go as I have no passport...lol.

I think, actually I know I will find a OE one. Just have to stop being lazy! Lol

I'm all for war wounds and personality dings on vehicles, believe me, this truck and I have been through hell and back more than once. Was my daily for years. But it's time for a refresh and build it the way I have wanted to since I got it, almost 30yrs ago. She deserves a facelift after all we have been through together. Wish I was as in as good of shape after all this time together! Lol

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Definitely going to put some effort into grabbing an OE one before I head the aftermarket route. I was having a "moment" probably brought on by a few too many wobbly pops...lol.

It's got a big nasty dent due to some a$$hole backing into it over 20 years ago, hit n run. Insurance would have covered it and then I mentioned that I was going to trade school in a few weeks and didn't have the money to spare for the deductible. They said I had a year, but then said they would cut me a cheque instead if I wanted, needed the cash, so I took it. Didn't think I'd take 2 decades to fix it!!! Lol

It's kinda hard to see in pics, even my buddy of over a decade was wondering why I needed a door. He's been in my garage a LOT, and been in it a few times. He didn't notice.
yeah , you're needing a door.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm about an 8hr drive from the border, and that's as far as I can go as I have no passport...lol.

IDK if this is true or not, but I'm about 6 hour drive from the border and my parents told me about a time where Americans could travel into Canada for a short time without a passport. My parents traveled to Thunder Bay, ON without a passport years ago (Pre 9/11?) and didn't have an issue. When me, my sister and my parents went there as a family though, we needed passports so the laws between the US and Canada may have changed.

Wouldn't mind traveling to Canada again, but my passport expired in 2020, so I'll need to get that renewed one of these days.