Hitting a deer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy 97

Reaction score
Seams like last fall was very bad for me. In September the engine spun a bearing. Get a new engine, just get over 1000 miles on engine, at 6 am a deer decided to turn around and run in front of the truck. This was my mistake, I called the insurance company and reported it. I got an estimate at one of their recommended body shops. Cost to repair truck was around $6700. Truck was valued at $3400. They wrote off the truck, even though I just put in a new engine. We bought the truck back. Decided to fix it. After I am done, it will need a salvage inspection before it is let back onto the road. Thinking back, if I would have called the insurance company, I wouldn't have had the truck written off. I would have still reported it to the RCMP like I did. I wouldn't have had to do this inspection. Apparently I had a lot of fix. Well I will have to post some pictures later, seams I am blocked from my own pictures. I took the truck to another body shop, one that is actually closer to where I live. They estimated it would cost to repair the truck was $3400. We tried to talk to our insurance company, it was too late everything was written up and they weren't listening to us. I have the truck ready and hauled to the body shop to get the fenders hood and fillers painted. They also have to put the truck on the frame rack. I found some issues when I was putting the fenders on. The right side seams up to high in the front which is causing the rear to be to low. Also forward too far. Making too much of a gap at the door. The left side the mounting bracket on the frame for the rad support is bent in. You can see that by how it lines or doesn't line up with the rad support at the bottom of the fender. Then my wife and I thought we were going to haul it in ourselves. I asked a friend, he couldn't or just didn't want to let me borrow the truck and his trailer. So I thought about renting one and borrowing her brothers truck. So I checked with a towing company, they wanted $85 to load the truck plus $3 per km to haul it. I live 32 km from that town. My wife's brother lives in Eckville, I would have had to travel to there pick up his truck go to Red Deer to pick up the rented trailer, come here and load truck take it to Ponoka, then take trailer back and then the truck. In all there would be around 238km trip. Fuel for the truck costs $1.08 per litre. The truck gets 12 to 14 mpg on winter fuel. The trailer rental is $115 per day. After going through the numbers it was less of a hassle to call the towing company to get the truck, which they did.

You must be registered for see images attach

I had to repair this fender because of the rust. I poked a hole through the rusted area. After removal it was full of dirt.

The rear bumper was rusted up and cracked underneath. Had to replace the bumper. Cannot have a cracked bumper.

I removed the inner fenders as well and cleaned them up and painted them.

Also started cleaning on the frame in the front on both sides. Still need to go along the whole frame.

I found the front suspension needed some attention so I cleaned and painted everything I could on the front.

The body shop is going to get everything painted and aligned for me. Since the frame needs some attention.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Yeah, I had a motorcycle wreck a few years back and when I called to drop the insurance, the lady from the insurance company asked if the bike was totalled, I said I thought it probably was. I have a feeling she wrote it up like that. I haven't tried to put it back on the road, but figure it's going to be a pain if I ever do. I doubt I'll ever put that one back on the road. I was thinking of making it a track only bike or using the engine for a go-kart.

I was agonizing over the storage fees racking up at the yard, so I drove down to Atlanta(on pain pills -shhh) with a stitched up silver dollar size chunk out of my knee, bruised from head to toe, using crutches to get to the bike, trying to load it onto my trailer when the guy at the yard asked if I wanted help. He then proceeded to put straps under the bike, fork lifted the straps so he was lifting the bike by the straps, then when he lowered the forks, crushed my tank, the only piece of the body that wasn't damaged in the wreck.

When it rains it pours.

Oh yeah, the lady that caused the wreck left the scene, so I wound up being at fault and got a ticket for following too close because once I left the bike, it went on and hit another car.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Deciding the frame is damaged & needs work - based on the fit of aftermarket sheetmetal - is sketchy.

Richard

Chevy 97

Reaction score
I did some measuring. The lower rad support mount was a 1/4 inch farther back then the right side. That is the side that hit the deer. That is how I come up with that deduction.

Chevy 97

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a motorcycle wreck a few years back and when I called to drop the insurance, the lady from the insurance company asked if the bike was totalled, I said I thought it probably was. I have a feeling she wrote it up like that. I haven't tried to put it back on the road, but figure it's going to be a pain if I ever do. I doubt I'll ever put that one back on the road. I was thinking of making it a track only bike or using the engine for a go-kart.

I was agonizing over the storage fees racking up at the yard, so I drove down to Atlanta(on pain pills -shhh) with a stitched up silver dollar size chunk out of my knee, bruised from head to toe, using crutches to get to the bike, trying to load it onto my trailer when the guy at the yard asked if I wanted help. He then proceeded to put straps under the bike, fork lifted the straps so he was lifting the bike by the straps, then when he lowered the forks, crushed my tank, the only piece of the body that wasn't damaged in the wreck.

When it rains it pours.

Oh yeah, the lady that caused the wreck left the scene, so I wound up being at fault and got a ticket for following too close because once I left the bike, it went on and hit another car.

That really sucks, when the person that caused the accident leaves. To bad you didn't have witnesses. I had a witness when my car was hit by someone making a left hand turn in front of me when I had the right away. This happened in October last year, Car was totalled. Bad luck seams to come in three's

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I did have witnesses. The lady actually stopped, got out and was talking to me and the guys whose van the bike went into/under, then she quietly took off while I was on the side of the road bleeding and the guys were talking to me and nobody got her tag. The officer said he had no choice but to ticket me.

That's life sometimes. We take our lumps and move on.

-Didn't mean to derail your thread.

Last edited:

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that cop lied so he could take the responsibility of the ticket off himself. Writing a ticket is up to his discretion unless a superior told him to.

Chevy 97

Reaction score

I stripped off the rust from the rear bumper brackets. Then painted them.

I took the new rear bumper out of its box and found out the brackets off my old bumper won't work.

I was trying to save some money which isn't going to happen now, after taking the piece off my old bumper, I found none of the holes line up

The only thing that worked are the new lenses for my license plate lights. Tuesday I will order the pieces I need, then hope it don't take to long to come in.

Chevy 97

Reaction score

The truck is done at the body shop, I just couldn't get it home today. I have to call the towing company in the morning.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Coming together nicely...

RE: your bumper step pad, looks like it's split in the middle and is two pieces? That's an aftermarket/copy bumper, have seen more than a few. The OEM style step pad is one piece all the way across. Your replacement bumper appears to take the OEM style pad.

Richard