highway cruising misfire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys so i drive my 96 k1500 w/5.7 daily to college about 120km round trip so lately its begun to somewhat misfire or stutter like a hesitation when cruising. now when you hit the throttle it clears up, cruise and back to the hesitation. now to me this sounds like an ignition/timing issue? just for kicks i changed the fuel filter tonight but havent took it out for a spin yet. and tomorrow after class ill change out the plugs, which i know should probably be changed anyways.

any ideas?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EGR flow issue comes to mind, since it only happens during low RPM, light throttle cruising.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EGR flow issue comes to mind, since it only happens during low RPM, light throttle cruising.

thanks for the response. how do i go about diagnosing this? might i ad i do not have a CEL yet.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unbolt it and check the pintle valve for carbon build up, and pull the tube off and check there too. If you find a lot of buildup, a small pick and some carb cleaner should take care of it for the EGR, and a coat hanger on an electric drill can get a lot out of the tube. The ports in the intake can also clog, which requires pulling the upper intake to clean the discharge port in the manifold. I don't know if the 400's will set an EGR flow code, as I don't think that they have a way of measuring flow. The only code I have seen is a pintle position code which will be thrown if the pintle gets stuck. You may have to replace the valve if you cannot clean it sufficiently.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If fuel pressure is up to spec, then more likely an ignition issue; worn/defective parts in cap, rotor, wires or distributor gear/top bushing.

Richard

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i changed the fuel filter and my plugs and it seems to be running a lot better.

the plugs were beyond ed...which im sure accounted for something