Hi beams won't "click" on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
93 Silverado running 4hi mod with 6K 55watt highs and lows... Tonight after a normal Friday night I got in my truck and turned the lights on but they didn't come on. Checked all the fuss and the mod wiring, everything checked out. So I tried to flick my hi beams on and everything turned back on. Everything worked normal but on the way home flicking my hi beams off, all lights went out for a split second then lows came on. Scared me to death but made it home. Got to toying with it and ultimately my multifunction switch (I think it's called that) wouldn't click when pulled toward me. It was causing all kinds of weird combos with the headlights but all 4 would be on when I held it toward me in place. It just won't "click" back and turn on the high beams. How can I fix this? Or what's causing it to no engage? Thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
High/low beam dimmer switch is broken or the rod that actuates it isn't hitting it properly - could be from switch not in place correctly or if you've got a tilt column that is loose and flopping at the tilt knuckle.

Your '93 doesn't have a proper "multifunction" switch; just a lever that operates several different separate switches in different manners. The dimmer function is actuated by a rod that runs down the column to a switch - it's the small one with the blue harness socket in this pic; you can see the rusty metal rod that goes to it:

You must be registered for see images attach

Pull the lower column trim and give it a look. Operate the lever and see that the rod is making good contact with the switch. If so, replace the switch. You may want to tape the rod into place against the column tube while you do this, because if the other end of it falls off inside the upper part of the column it can be a pain to get back into place.

Richard

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay thank you for clarifying that. I don't have to remove any part of the steering wheel or steering column do I?

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
High/low beam dimmer switch is broken or the rod that actuates it isn't hitting it properly - could be from switch not in place correctly or if you've got a tilt column that is loose and flopping at the tilt knuckle.

Your '93 doesn't have a proper "multifunction" switch; just a lever that operates several different separate switches in different manners. The dimmer function is actuated by a rod that runs down the column to a switch - it's the small one with the blue harness socket in this pic; you can see the rusty metal rod that goes to it:

You must be registered for see images attach

Pull the lower column trim and give it a look. Operate the lever and see that the rod is making good contact with the switch. If so, replace the switch. You may want to tape the rod into place against the column tube while you do this, because if the other end of it falls off inside the upper part of the column it can be a pain to get back into place.

Richard
I looked at the switch and engaged the lever it was only working about half the time. My column is solid as a rock so I'm guessing the switch with the socket. How do I remove this? Can it be taken right off or is there something else I have to remove?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Remove the screw and the nut holding it down and replace the switch with a new one. $7 to $30ish depending on what brand you buy. I'd skip the super cheap ones.

Richard