Hey check these out greasable door hinge pins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FIREBALL 94

Bowtie enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys was wondering if anybody has tried these and these seem to be a lot cheaper in price than the classic industries one’s. I figured I’d let y’all know cause we all will have to deal with the door pins someday if not soon between wear and tear. I might try a set on mine when I get a chance too but anyhow here’s the link to them
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/product_p/a22174.htm

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm threaded pins? Haven't seen that type bought hinge pin kit to redo my sagging door but they aren't threaded either one. Greasable seems like a good idea though.

FIREBALL 94

Bowtie enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m always on the lookout for a upgrade to a good design especially when it’s greasable too, and alot less $$ than a new setup like a hinge, labor, etc. I wish someone already had them on their ride so I knew for sure y’know.....

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Though seems like a great idea I am not going to get a set. My 1977 Impala still has all the original hinge pins/bushings and none of the doors sag. All I do is as the owners manual stated is put 30 weight oil on them once or twice a year. Now my truck I have had to change both door hinge pins/bushings and the roller cam as well. I did put anti-seize on the pins before sliding into the new bushings but still once a year I use 30 weight oil on them.

In my opinion the most common reason for failure of the hinge bushings is due to lack of lubrication as directed by GM.

I also do the same on the hood hinges, neither of my hoods have that dreaded folding in the middle. And I can still close each one with a firm push after lowering the hood down to the safety catch latch.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’m always on the lookout for a upgrade to a good design especially when it’s greasable too, and alot less $$ than a new setup like a hinge, labor, etc. I wish someone already had them on their ride so I knew for sure y’know.....
Good looking out. Hell I say try 'em. Probably couldn't be worse than OEM...but I'd say this, I would not spend all that money and throw them into beat-up hinges. If your hinge bushing holes are beat up, or especially if the opposing hole - where the pin goes in with just an interference fit, no bushing, then you're wasting your money throwing those fancy pins in there as they're just gonna get beat up.

These greaseable pins/bushings are a nice solution for BEFORE your hinges are toast.

Richard

86k10

Reaction score
If the hinges holes are worn do you guys have a repair procedure like ream and install some hardened bushings?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've not seen many hinges where the bushing holes were worn; you'd have to let them go bad for so long that the doors would literally not shut. Hell I had a '98 crew cab that was so bad you had to lift the doors up then mash them real quick or you wouldn't even get a partial latch, and the bushings were still intact.

What gets worn the most often is the opposing hole I mentioned, the one where the end of the pin goes in with no bushing. Those get egged-out and cause you to still have slop in the door after bushing/pin replacement. A hack (and trust me it's a hack, but it works) that I've seen and used is to go ahead and replace everything, but leave the retainer off the end of the pin. Gently jack the door up using a block of wood to get it into proper position, which also shifts the slack in that hole to the opposite side, grind a clean spot on the hinge and the pin, and put a tack weld on there. Not too much. You want to be able to grind it out in case you ever need to pull the door (crash replacement for example) and there's not much room to work in.

Richard