Here we go! 99 GMC K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now a heads up for anyone wanting Spyder Glass housings. When I ordered these I read nothing but good reviews. When I installed the first bulb it wiggled so much and I was honestly worried it would fall out just driving down the road. There were three screws that, I assume, the bulb was supposed to lock. It did not and I was instantly ticked, deflated, and said some words that would be censored. What to do, what to do? Started stoking around the shop looking for something that would secure the bulbs, fit tightly with the screws and not wear out or rot away. Hoping I was going to find some tiny fender washers... no luck. Happened to look in an old five gallon bucket and found these plastic wire clips. Hmmmm. Ended up cutting them up to make tabs. They were thick and not flimsy. With two installed the bulb did not move at all. With three the bulbs are tight as tick. Bonus I was able clock the LEDs just right for the reflectors. Down side will be replacement. The grill and housings will have to be pulled to replace the bulbs. These bulbs are supposed to last 60,000 hours so hopefully that will be awhile.

Attachments

• IMG_4299.jpg
    IMG_4299.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4300.jpg
    IMG_4300.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4303.jpg
    IMG_4303.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 13

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Few things left to do underneath. Started towards the rear and moved to the front. Drained the transfer case and refilled with Amsoil. It was brown and needed the new blood. I forgot I bought it but found it in the back of the Burb, so installed a new Energy Suspension transmission mount. No before it needed it.

Attachments

• IMG_4375.jpg
    IMG_4375.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 7

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last fluid on the Burb to be touched was the transmission. I was not dreading it because the 4l80 has a drain plug in the pan. That is till I found out someone has borrowed and not returned T55 Torx bit. Immediately I started dreading this.... As expected, I made mess! I can tell by the gasket that someone had been in there before. No clue how long ago but it was time. Went back with Wix Filter, Lube Locker gasket and flushed with Amsoil. Yes, did the flush from the top trans cooler line at the radiator. There was little sludge on the magnet but nothing to get excited/worried about.

Got the mess cleaned up, trans buttoned up and reinstalled both skid plates.

Attachments

• IMG_4376.jpg
    IMG_4376.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4378.jpg
    IMG_4378.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4379.jpg
    IMG_4379.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4380.jpg
    IMG_4380.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 6

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I added a few cranks to the torsion bars. Not looking for a lot of lift but wanted the front be only about an inch or so lower than the rear. When I started, the keys were sitting flush on the stops with the bolts backed all the way out. Will have to play with it a little bit but we will get there.

Installed the new front bumper from LMC and the tow hooks. Went with a "diesel" bumper in case I decided to add some fog lights. Couldn`t help myself......I was in Home Depot and that red paint was staring me in the face.

Suddenly realized that there nothing stopping me from putting tires on and taking a ride today. Holy Smoke! Folks this is a big deal! This rascal has been sitting on jack stands since November 2022. What a high to bolt the wheels on and for the first time have this Burb resting on tires. The sound of pulling the release on the jack stands was the most awesome sound. Goodness it looks sitting there.....even with a year+ of dust. Didn`t stop me. I pulled out and took an eleven mile ride. Combination of city and highway. Folks it drove awesome. The power is there. Shifts like a dream. Steering is tight and responsive. Rides smooth and takes the bumps like a dream. The Burb is back on the road.

Just need to stick the grill back in it now.

Next week it is heading for alignment, state inspection, ABS bleed and rebleed the whole system and charge the AC with some dye. My scan tool (Innova 5610) is capable of ABS bleeds but naturally not on a GMT400.

Attachments

• IMG_4381.jpg
    IMG_4381.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4382.jpg
    IMG_4382.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4384.jpg
    IMG_4384.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 10

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had posted these pics over on the daily truck thread and did not get much response. What do you all think? Steelies, H2 or Silverado wheels? I am going to have to buy a set of tires no matter which way I go.

Attachments

• H2 Wheels.jpg
    H2 Wheels.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4381.jpg
    IMG_4381.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Steel Wheels.jpg
    Steel Wheels.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 15

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I had posted these pics over on the daily truck thread and did not get much response. What do you all think? Steelies, H2 or Silverado wheels? I am going to have to buy a set of tires no matter which way I go.
I vote the H2 wheels with that body color. Or freshen up the steelies.

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I vote the H2 wheels with that body color. Or freshen up the steelies.
I had thought that I was going to go back with the steelies but I was second guessing. After seeing the pic that @South VA posted a few days ago of his suburban I really liked the steelies. I do like the way the Silverado wheels look on @OutlawDrifter suburban.

The steelies are original to the truck and have 209k miles on them and need to be refinished. I do have new caps and the original rings though. The Silverado wheels look good in pictures but they are scratched and have been beat on. I do have the OEM caps for them also. The H2 wheels are almost flawless. Picked them up off a guy who used his H2 as a marketing/show truck for his company. They have less than 20k miles on them when he switched rims and put them on a pallet in his shop for almost twenty years. I have all five of them and was able to sell the original BFGs.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s so exciting you got to go for a drive after such a long time!

I like the h2 wheels with the gmc caps :boobs:

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I like the 2nd version of the H2's the best, cleaner spoke. You could probably sell those and cover the cost of new tires.

Steelies with OWL or RWL tires always look classy.