Here we go! 99 GMC K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I feel like I have turned a corner and finally starting to reassemble instead of disassemble. I was going to try replacing a few seals in the existing hydroboost........ ultimately decided not to fool with it and purchased a brand new not reman Bosch unit to replace the existing. Since it was new there was no core so now I have a spare to rebuild. For the money, I sincerely hope the Bosch unit is trouble free for a long.......long......long time. While I had it off I went ahead and snagged an OEM brake light switch.
So how much is the Bosch new hydro boost unit? I think the reman ones are around $300 in my area.

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moving right along yesterday.... Hydro boost and brake light switch installed. RedHead steering gear installed. All power steering and hydro boost lines replaced with Gates. Filled the reservoir with Amsoil power steering fluid. Made the connection back to the steering column with a Borgeson lower shaft.

Attachments

• IMG-3994.jpg
    IMG-3994.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-3996.jpg
    IMG-3996.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-3997.jpg
    IMG-3997.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 7

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good day yesterday. The rear diff has been hanging from the leaf springs for a minute. Finally got the back end about back together.
- Jacked the rear diff up to put pressure on the springs.
- Torqued the leaf spring and shackle bolts to spec.
- Installed new Bilstein 4600 shocks and torqued to spec.
- Filled the rear diff with Lucas 85w-140 (East Coast Gear all but demanded for intial fill/break in after rebuild)

East Coast has entire narrative on their website regarding gear oil if you are curious along with their opinions on several different brands.

Attachments

• IMG_4023.jpg
    IMG_4023.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 4

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On to rear brakes.... Decided on a Lugnut 4x4 rear disc brake kit. I opted for Ceramic bads and stainless braided line for the calipers. In addition I swapped the rear drop/soft line with a stainless steel line from Classic Tubes. Replaced the hard lines from the drop to the caliper lines with new copper units. Filled the master cylinder with Amsoil and completed the initial bleed with a MighyVac. The new calipers have provisions for emeregency brake but the instructions inidicate not hooking up until after bleeding. Going to hold on those until final bleeding is complete.

Attachments

• IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4079.jpg
    IMG_4079.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4080.jpg
    IMG_4080.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 8

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Things got a little stagnant around the holidays. The front differential is finally back under the burb and torqued down. Same as the rear, the front was rebuilt but East Coast Gear. Ultimately I decided to leave the front an open diff. East Coast also pressed all four new case bushings. Filled it up with Lucas 85w-140......gracious that stuff is THICK when cold. Reinstalled the front driveshaft which was rebalanced and both u-joints replaced. Hooked up the vent and gave the acutator connector a squirt of dielectric grease.

Attachments

• IMG_4245.jpg
    IMG_4245.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4246.jpg
    IMG_4246.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969