Help with Torque converter identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwsisu

Reaction score
Hey, does anybody happen to know the specific specs/features on the 4640LSHDRV TQ for the 4L80E, by Precision of New Hampton?
I assume LS means low stall, maybe -400?
HD would mean beefed-up, but no idea how.
And RV obviusly a towing spec, but again, no idea what specifically.
Any help very much appreciated!

nwsisu

Reaction score
What engine are bolting it up to? Those numbers are going to be specific to the rebuilder. Have you tried calling them and asking?

I don't anything about that place, but I found this: https://gopnh.com/General-Motors-Transmissions/4L80E
I had my tranny rebuilt on my 1997 7.4L vortec 2WD with 3.73 and stock tires, by a local shop, they have a good reputation as one of the better shops around here.
That's the converter they put in there. I tried to ask the service advisor about the specifics of the TC, but only got a very generic answer.
I had told them that i use it for heavy towing, and they said they will install a fitting TC.
When i got the truck back, i took a peek at the TC, and saw a sticker on it with that model#.
I have to admit that i had no clue about converters, and wish i had read up about them earlier.
I emailed the manufacturer asking for the info, but haven't got a response yet (i hate to call bcs i have such a heavy accent, English is not my mother tongue).
Anyway, driving it now, seems that everything works well, and it does feel like stall been lowered, which is fine. Haven't towed yet after the rebuild.
But it is probably no big deal, i wasn't looking for any performance, just a reliable drive train for towing for years to come.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

nwsisu

Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like they have low, medium and high stall versions for the different engines. Then additional options seem to be the HD and RV options, which I have.