1994 K1500 4L60E Torque Converter Question from Newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LHRookie

Reaction score
Hi Folks, i am from Germany and acutally rebuilding my K1500 Trans (3/4 Clutch burned up). I have a lot of parts already ordered and several questions. But step after step. In this thread i will focus on TC questions.

Its a stock 350 5.7 l motor : TBI, nothing fancy. I would like to tow some trailer (max. 3000 pounds) (not very often). My actually Torque Converter is a DGAF type - i would like to buy a new one (recommended after Trans rebuilt).

I am totally confused between the different types and no Trans shop is answering my questions what the correct TC is. For example : i actually could by a DHHF Type (https://www.rockauto.com/de/moreinfo.php?pk=4996407&cc=1046797&pt=8668)

Listed types are : DE6F, DG5C, DG5F, DGAF, DGCF, DGCG, DGHC, DGHF, DGHG, DGHG, DHHG, DHPF, DKAF, DKGF, DKHF, DKLF

BUT : there are some differenes for the Lockup / TCC during the years : correct ? 1993/1994 (as mine) are on/off Lockup and 1995 is standalone PWM, 1996 and up also PWM. So there are differences in clutch materials like paper and carbon ?

EDIT : i just found the answer in a really good article here : https://www.transtar1.com/TranstarIndustries/media/Transtar1/technical/bulletins/TLT-TC-035.pdf

So : i must use a paper friction material.

Any hints highly appreciated !

-Whats the difference between Heavy Duty and "Normal" TC ?
- do i need a HD TC or is a stock one OK (when using an external Tru Cool 40 k Cooler ?)
- Whats your recommendation for the TC ? Where to buy ? (i need shipping to Germany....and the TC is heavy ;o)

--> I need any suggestion, what TC is the best one for me (or simply buy the cheapest one from Rockauto?)

Thank you so much for any answers and kind regards
Mirko

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not a transmission expert, but I think you will be fine with either of those 2 options. I posted that link from Transtar on a thread I created about a PWM question in general, a few months ago. It is very helpful.

Did you figure out why the clutch pack burnt up? Did you find any brittle seals or orings? I'm sure you are aware you can check for drum operation and leakage using compressed air?

Last edited:

LHRookie

Reaction score
Hi - the clutch burnup was my fault : i bought the truck and there were tons of problems. Radiator was leaking and i replaced it. I wasn't aware, that there is some ATF in the cooler, too and never filled it up - stupid.
I checked trans oil level - but not the correct way with idling motor - so i drove around thausand miles with low on ATF. I recognized some stuttering movement and i thaught it is the TC...short time later : no 3rd and 4th gear.
I already ordered a list of parts / good stuff and want to bulletproof the trans - will discuss this in a different thread - will focus on TC here.

3/4 clutch totally burned.....no metal flakes in the pan. Really dark and burned smelled oil.

Thanks for your reply.