Help with MFPI conversion!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I noticed a little bit of residue in my oil filler cap, which I think was dexcool residue, so I decided to replace the intake gastets, and tackle all of the "while you're in there" jobs at the same time. Tuck is a 97 yukon 2 door with 5.7.

The Delphi and AC Delco mfpi kits were sold out everywhere, so I found a kit from an eBay seller who operates a retail fuel injection store. He explained that he uses Delphi injectors and only reuses the central distribution block in his kits, and it was priced similar to the AC Delco, so I bit.

When I went to install it, the injectors would not seat to save my life. The white plastic was jamming, almost like it was too big. I called the seller and he said to clean all of the carbon from the manifold, which is often an issue with conversions, so I went to town and got them sparking clean with a series of nylon brushes and carb cleaner. Still, injectors wouldn't even come close to seating like they do in all the you tube videos. A dab of sil-glide didn't help at all. It's on all 8, not just a few. Also, in my struggle, I broke one of the injectors and I feel like an idiot. Should I have loosened the retainer at the bottom before trying to rotate them?

First question, am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick or technique to dropping them in? Are there different manifolds I'm not aware of?

Second question, whats my next step? Should I buy a single AC Delco injector to replace the broken one? Can I replace just the plastic tips on the others if it fits better?

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Disclaimer, I've never done this job...

That said, I would be seriously considering returning that spider and buying an ACDelco if I were you. If you're putting enough force on things to break stuff during install it really sounds like something isn't right.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, what he said.

I’ve done them three times (Delco/Delphi) and they just push right in. They don’t have a hard click or snap…almost to the point of you thinking that they’re loose even though they aren’t.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have done 3 of them and they all 3 took some effort to get them to snap into place. The last one was an AUS injection spider and an intake manifold clean enough to eat off. The upgrade spider has a much tighter fit then the factory spider does. The upgrade one is practically impossible to remove without removing the manifold.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heard back from the seller. While he claims to use the genuine Delphi injectors, the plastic caps are manufactured somewhere else. He check the bag, and this batch seems to be .6mm oversize. He's offered to replace the complete unit. Glad to know I'm not crazy. It's really shame that the AC Delco is so hard to find right now. It seems to have been out of production for a bit, although not discontinued.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heard back from the seller. While he claims to use the genuine Delphi injectors, the plastic caps are manufactured somewhere else. He check the bag, and this batch seems to be .6mm oversize. He's offered to replace the complete unit. Glad to know I'm not crazy. It's really shame that the AC Delco is so hard to find right now. It seems to have been out of production for a bit, although not discontinued.
Last I checked the AcDelco ones that could be bought were all around $600 for the V-8.

jaxcob

Reaction score
I was keeping track of the AcDelco one on amazon and it went from $250 to not being avaliable about 6 weeks ago. Wish i would've picked it up just to have on the shelf. Now its showing avaliable from other sellers for $501 with free shipping.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was keeping track of the AcDelco one on amazon and it went from $250 to not being avaliable about 6 weeks ago. Wish i would've picked it up just to have on the shelf. Now its showing avaliable from other sellers for $501 with free shipping.
That's exactly when I was looking for one. I saw Amazon run out of stock while it was in my cart, and than more than double in price. Rock auto got a small handful of units a few weeks ago, but they were around 400 and gone in hours.