Help: Seized A/C Compressor Pulley - Belt Size w/ Bypasser Pulley?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My truck has been down now for 2 weeks due to a seized A/C compressor. I mistakenly took my father-in-laws advice in that these trucks (96+) you could just remove the A/C compressor and run a shorter belt - well now with shorter belt in hand, looking at the belt assembly, It look's to me like the belt would rub on the water pump pulley en route to the power steering pump pulley. I would have just checked the sticker under the hood, had it been there (disappeared awhile ago), but my (poor) memory thought that what he was saying was accurate.

So now here I am wondering what to do.

I can go pickup a bypasser pulley from vatozone for $40 - but I was reading and some people had commented that it lacks provisions for the throttle cable? Does anyone have experience with this?
Here is the part: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...WD/_/N-jd121Z91tb7?itemIdentifier=838293_0_0_

It also doesn't say what size belt to run (I obviously, like the moron I am, have the w/o A/C belt 88.2") - I assume the stock size?

Please help this imbecile, so that I can get my truck back on the road, and get my new headlights with HIRs and HIDs installed.

Thanks,

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you run the same size belt as if the a/c compressor was still there the pulley bypass is the same diameter as a/c pulley

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
you run the same size belt as if the a/c compressor was still there the pulley bypass is the same diameter as a/c pulley

Yuppp.

As far as the throttle cable, I have no idea what they're talking about. There is a bracket that holds both the throttle and cruise cable, but it is in no way attached to the a/c compressor. Bolts onto on of the upper plenum bolts IIRC.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you could just get a used AC compressor from the junkyard and bolt it in so the belt has something to ride on. It would likely be cheaper than the bypass pulley, as you can use the stock belt.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk