HELP no spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I engine swapped a 98 5.7 vortec in my truck and I can't get spark. The first time I cranked it over, I crank for 10 seconds and I stopped because both battery connections started smoking and the ground on the engine also started smoking so I immediately stopped. I came out the next day and looked at the grounds and I saw I missed the frame to firewall ground so I added one and in total I had a frame to bell housing bolt ground, frame to firewall, and engine to frame ground and today I cranked it over still no spark but no smoke this time. I got my multimeter out and I tested if the coil was getting power put put of the coil and it was getting about the same amount as the battery, and I changed out to a different distributor cap and still nothing.. the distributor that I put in was as far as i know was good i had it in a engine a month ago and i know its timed right. Kinda stuck on this one.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
How did you arrive at the "no spark" diagnosis? Did you use the correct HEI spark tester? Did you check fuel pressure? You say that you changed the cap, what about the rotor? Did you verify that the distributor is installed correctly?

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you arrive at the "no spark" diagnosis? Did you use the correct HEI spark tester? Did you check fuel pressure? You say that you changed the cap, what about the rotor? Did you verify that the distributor is installed correctly?
The distributor is installed correct and I swapped it out today for a different one and I changed the cam sensor and rotor