Help Needed - Rear Speed Sensor Wiring Leads to Nowhere. w/ PICS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1998 K2500 ECSB has had a code C0236 (missing rear speed sensor) since purchased.

I disassembled the wiring harness to look for a short and revealed that the wires from the rear speed sensor on the transfer case output terminated at another connector with a female to female adapter about 18" down the harness.

Connector A was plugged into the rear speed sensor. Connector B was bundled to the rest of the harness (appeared factory). I'd always assumed it was for a PTO or some option my truck never came with.

I'm confused about where to go from here. No other unplugged connectors appear to be anywhere in the area.

You must be registered for see images attach

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turns out this harness extension/adapter is to extend the connector for the rear VSS in 4x4 applications from the output sensor on the 4L80E transmission to the output sensor of the transfer case. I unplugged the harness from the transmission's output sensor and plugged it into connector B on the extension. Now the output sensor on the transfer case should be applying rear VSS signal as intended, but I'm still getting a C0236 (missing rear speed sensor). I think I have a short somewhere...

Does anyone know where the green and purple wires from the rear speed sensor lead to so I can check continuity? The ABS controller under the hood? Any advice on which pins to test from?