Heavy duty belt tensioner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a heavy duty, or at least better than the gates I keep replacing every few years, belt tensioner for the 5.7 vortecs?

Gates shows a fleet runner heavy duty for 2000 W3500 5.7 but it’s a smooth pulley.

Maybe somebody with better goggle-fu can help me.

If not, please make a recommendation for something of better quality than a regular gates tensioner.

You must be registered for see images attach

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What trouble are you having with the Gates?
The bearings in the pulley. I get 1-2 years out of them.

I’ve warrantied the unit 3 times, replaced the bearings once (out of a new smooth idler) and replaced the pulley with bearings once.

I’ve triple and quadruple checked pulley/belt alignment throughout ownership.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I’ve warrantied the unit 3 times, replaced the bearings once (out of a new smooth idler) and replaced the pulley with bearings once.

Where is the tensioner sitting in its allowable travel with the engine off? I'm wondering if you're running a belt that's slightly too small. I've gotten the wrong belt a time or two... in my case it was too long.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the tensioner sitting in its allowable travel with the engine off? I'm wondering if you're running a belt that's slightly too small. I've gotten the wrong belt a time or two... in my case it was too long.

the line on the fixed side points to the center of the box on the dynamic side.
I’m running the k060970 (inch longer than stock) with the AD24 alternator.
But I’ve had this issue with the stock/stock setup too.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always heard the tensioner and idler pulley were things you replace every few years if you drive the vehicle a lot.... been my experience anyway.
I haven’t heard that, but if that’s the case then I’ll just replace it and mumble and grumble about it to myself :rotflmao:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
the line on the fixed side points to the center of the box on the dynamic side.
I’m running the k060970 (inch longer than stock) with the AD24 alternator.
But I’ve had this issue with the stock/stock setup too.

I just looked at mine, and I'm having a hard time translating what your saying onto what I'm seeing.

Some people do replace and recommend replacement of tensiors and idler pulley whenever the belt is changed, but I've always thought of it like changing oil every 2000 miles. I have 301K miles on my truck, and still have the original tensioner. I did finally change the pulley, either right before or right after 300K. I did buy a whole new tensioner assembly for my truck, but ended up using it on my dad's old 96 when I was driving it a few years ago. His tensioer (the arm, not the pulley) seized, so thay can go bad.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When they are new and after using for awhile, I pop off seal on side and add grease.

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once again, we need the year, make, model, with or without A/C, Alternator size 100amp, 105amp, 124amp we do know engine size (5.7L). It seems Rock Auto offers various choices from companies such as Continental, SKP, GoodYear, DAYCO, & GM of which some offer warranties of (12-24 months) were GM is lifetime. So it's up to you as to what you want and need, and are willing to pay. I researched the web as you had asked and these seem to be the best case scenario's. I myself prefer DAYCO Gold Label Line of Heavy Duty Automatic Belt Tensioner. Anyway good luck in your search, and let us know how it all turns out for you. (I did not forgot to mentioned Gates HD, only because you wanted other various types of other choices besides them, which they are also located on Rock Auto.)

Last edited: