Heater core hose quick disconnect upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the barbed fitting and pressed a brass plug into the threaded side of the adapter, and drilled a hole (unsure of size now 10 years later) the same size of the one that is in the factory pos.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I put a brass fitting in mine maybe 8 or 10 years ago. I run the hell out of my truck. 5500 RPMs very often. Never had any issues. No restrictions in the fitting. Mine looks like the one in the 2ed post.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I had never thought to look for the restriction hole on the ones I have done, although I haven't had any trouble I may take my fitting out and make a restriction piece on my lathe and press it into the back side of the fitting.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why bother, as I said in the other thread, millions of SBC on the road with no restrictor.
Higher flow will increase heat transfer.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I did mine years ago and havent had any issues

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
why bother, as I said in the other thread, millions of SBC on the road with no restrictor.
Higher flow will increase heat transfer.

Not true on 87 and up TBI engines, The intake gasket has a restriction built in to it at the rear coolant port on each side. It is there to slow down the flow of coolant to allow the coolant to absorb more heat from the block. GM put a TSB out when these trucks first hit the market because service techs were installing the old style gaskets on the TBI engines causing over heating problems.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true on 87 and up TBI engines, The intake gasket has a restriction built in to it at the rear coolant port on each side. It is there to slow down the flow of coolant to allow the coolant to absorb more heat from the block. GM put a TSB out when these trucks first hit the market because service techs were installing the old style gaskets on the TBI engines causing over heating problems.
Not exactly.

You must be registered for see images attach

The gasket is not restricted to protect the heater core. The gasket is restricted to assure that heated coolant is circulated through the passage in the TBI intake manifold, to promote an even, warm intake manifold temperature.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Not exactly.

You must be registered for see images attach

The gasket is not restricted to protect the heater core. The gasket is restricted to assure that heated coolant is circulated through the passage in the TBI intake manifold, to promote an even, warm intake manifold temperature.

I did not say that the restriction in the gasket is to protect the heater core. It is there to slow the flow of coolant down so that it can absorb heat from the block. There is no steam in a pressurized cooling system.