Heat gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobL

Reaction score
I’m sure this is posted on here somewhere but I couldn’t find it.

92 sierra. 4.3L. Changed both temperature sensors but now when the engine gets a little bit warm the gauge immediately spikes.

Bad ground? Wrong sensor?

Any ideas?

Thanks

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed both temperature sensors but now when the engine gets a little bit warm the gauge immediately spikes.

Bad ground? Wrong sensor?
When your CTS reads high resistance the gauge should read colder, when it sees low resistance the gauge will read hot. Sounds like your sensor wire may be shorting out somewhere between the sensor and the cluster.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ANNND, thinking about it, when the gauge pegs hot, disconnect the wire going to the sender (between cyls 1&3) to see if it goes to cold.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can check using a thermal temp gun. They are cheap and easy to use.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This was causing me a lot of trouble for a while. Gauge would read higher than it should. Tried changing the temp sender. Then it would read overheating when temps were normal. Put the original one back on, then cleaned up the body ground going to the battery, then it started reading perfectly.