Headlight Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Not sure if they have to be bright. One of my parking lights already looks smoked for some reason and ive never been pulled over or anything. Cops here are pretty cool it seems. There are people driving around with like 10-12K HIDs like it was legal.

EDIT: Looking on eBay there are alot of fully black parking lights that say DOT and SAE approved so i guess they are legal....just thinking out loud.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Not sure if they have to be bright. One of my parking lights already looks smoked for some reason and ive never been pulled over or anything. Cops here are pretty cool it seems. There are people driving around with like 10-12K HIDs like it was legal.

EDIT: Looking on eBay there are alot of fully black parking lights that say DOT and SAE approved so i guess they are legal....just thinking out loud.

Technically you are supposed to fail inspection if your blinkers/parking lights are completely black and have no reflective material in them. I never failed anyone for just the parking lights though and neither did any of my workers when I was a manager so I doubt you would get hassled, especially on the valley. But just a warning, you can fail inspection with it.

97Bowtie1106

it's not a lowrider!!!
Reaction score

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the first set on mine except they are chrome, in less than 6 months the low beam went out and I dont believe it can be changed, also cant adjust them and the turn signals arent made that great, the second light there is to many extra lights for what I like, I would get either the single halo headlights like southern pride has or get a set of TYCs

Definitely can be changed its just an h1 style bulb. I bought them in black on my 95 and replaced the halogen bulbs with 6000k hids. Looked amazing!

Both, the lenses always have those little lines in them that looks cheap and the light output without a reflective background is virtually non existent.

No need to get upset, if you like it go for it. I was just stating my opinion. And just so you know, those you posted will fail inspection.

First off thats a dang lie... Light output is no different than normal I owned a set it was actually better than normal when you swap to HID especially considering its a clear lense

And inspection...HA good thing I dont have to worry about that here in the land of 1000 lakes! Woo Woo MN for the win!

Have you ever seen parking lights with a black background? How is the light output? I want some.

Had them on my 95 too bad I dont have any pics. But they looked bad ass in my opinion and who cares if the actual light output isnt as great as stock they are parking lights.. they are onyl meant to help identify the vehicle.

How come everything on here seems to turn in to an argument now? Dont bash someone else for having a different taste than you

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
First off thats a dang lie... Light output is no different than normal I owned a set it was actually better than normal when you swap to HID especially considering its a clear lense

And inspection...HA good thing I dont have to worry about that here in the land of 1000 lakes! Woo Woo MN for the win!

How come everything on here seems to turn in to an argument now? Dont bash someone else for having a different taste than you

I was letting him know that as an inspector for the great state of Texas that he would probably fail so that had nothing to do with your inspection or lack there of.

Second there was no argument involved with anything just an opinion stated that you didn't like.

And finally there is no way headlights with a black plastic background with no reflective material will ever have a decent light output. I took some simple pictures to prove this so that the question can be answered correctly and put to rest.

All the comparison picture were shot on this wall from 7 ft away. And none of the pictures have a flash turned on.

You must be registered for see images attach

First with the reflective backgroudg of the maglite.

And now with the reflective background removed.

And now you can see that there is no way black plastic headlights put out a decent light output and next time you try to say someone is wrong try not to bend the rules of science.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I would get chrome or smoked that still has the reflective background not full black

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Hey, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I have the first set you posted. Black projectors. I think they're ok. Only thing I don't like about mine is the tilt they have, but that's just a matter of angling the brackets. The other problem I had was that the corners were leaking and letting water in, so they would fog up, but I just let them dry and sealed the edges with some black silicone sealant. Viola! No more fogging, and it's black silicone, so you can't tell it's there (it's on the backside of the clear plastic piece, where the front clear piece and back black piece join).

As far as people who say that light output sucks with the projectors, I don't think so. Maybe it's just that I'm used to it, but I've got normal bulbs in mine, and I've driven at night just fine. Once I get them angled down and leveled out, I'm going to put some HID's in them. Besides, I've heard you can also swap the projector fittings out of them for some better quality ones if you want. I haven't looked in to it, but I've heard that it is an option.

I'll take some pics and post them of the light output and of the turn signal output at night. I love the look of the corners and turn signals. I don't care for the middle of the headlight, with the stupid little blue light and textured plastic, but oh well, no one notices but me. Everyone who sees my truck loves them, and I like them too, that's all that matters.

EDIT:
Okay, here's the output. Sorry for the blurry pic, my camera was being difficult. And yes, I know they shine up (that's them making the line of light on the house) that's why I haven't bought HID's yet, I need to aim them down. They were adjusted better, but they got knocked out of alignment.

And here's a pic of the parking lights and corner lights. These are simply with lights on, so they get brighter when your turn signal is on. They are actually brighter than the stock housings were, because mine were clouded bad. Same with the headlights.

Last edited: