Headlight Bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Outside of HID's, what are the best headlight bulb for our trucks and why?

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sylvania silverstar ultra, brightest your gonna get outside of hid's

You must be registered for see images

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Toshiba HIR (halogen infrared reflective), 9011 for highs and 9012 for lows. I have them in my 95, I would say that they are just about as bright as HIDs without all the glare and other issues HIDs have. Problem is, Toshiba stopped making them in 2009 and every place that I know of has run out of them. If you do find them, I would jump on it.

Philips does make HIR "replacements" but they are not true HIR bulbs, they are just normal bulbs with overdriven filaments as far as I can tell. They are probably the brightest halogens you can easily get now without bumping up the bulb wattage. Unfortunately, since they are overdriven, I don't think their lifespan would be too great.

www.hirheadlights.com

Also look for Wagner TruView bulbs, they have been every bit as good as Silverstars for me, at half the cost.

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep'em coming. What about Osram Nightbreakers, GE Nighthawk Platinums, and Philips Xtreams.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hir's are going to be your best bet.

do not get silverstars. they produce less light then a set of new oe bulbs. must any bulb that is not coated will be an upgrade.

do you have shock housings or stock? high 4?

do you have a relay harness? if not get one that oalone will help. then you will be able to run a higher wattage bulb in you highs.

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have MeanGreen's HD 4-HI harness and I have Tyc Elegante housings.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do you have his relay harness?

since you have glare shields you can mod a 65w 9005 into you lowbeams. that is what i did in my dads 05 1500 and by beater buick. just get some 9005 Osram Nightbreakers and put them in the lows. you will have to grind the top tab and the bar inside the connector. other than that they are a direct fit.

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I have the relay harness with the 4-HI built in. Baron makes a great harness and I suggest it to anyone who has a truck like ours. I just ordered a set of HIR's from Candlepower.com. When I get them installed I will post how they do. Now I have a set of slightly used Xentec HID's that I need to sell.

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got the HIR's in the mail Saturday, but I didn't have time to install them until today. After it got dark I went for a ride, and boy did they make a difference. I mean a whole lot of difference. I am very pleased with these, and I've learned to never put HID's in halogen reflector housings.