header wrap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought some Hooker headers from a friend of mine now there shortys and I really don't want to wrap them for the reason of them rusting fast now will it cause much heat in engine bay? My buddy also gave me some awesome gaskets and header bolts. Sorry I didn't want to high jack the thread but I figured it would be cool since this is what I want to know to wrap or not to. Many thank uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I would not wrap them, trust me the stock cast manifolds throw off plenty of heat, the LT's will throw off more, but the main thing is to make sure no plug wires or other wires are close to them and burn them, the extra heat in the engine bay is negligable in everyway on a stock truck with a stock engine. What kind of gaskets are they? and bolts?

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
I just bought some Hooker headers from a friend of mine now there shortys and I really don't want to wrap them for the reason of them rusting fast now will it cause much heat in engine bay? My buddy also gave me some awesome gaskets and header bolts. Sorry I didn't want to high jack the thread but I figured it would be cool since this is what I want to know to wrap or not to. Many thank uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

It is really whether you would perfer the heat or the rust. I bought shorty headers and put them on my truck with no wrap and I can deffinately tell there is a major heat difference. It is far greater with the headers.

On a side note I painted them with a High engine heat enamal and they are starting to rust already... Its been about a year:nono:

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is really whether you would perfer the heat or the rust. I bought shorty headers and put them on my truck with no wrap and I can deffinately tell there is a major heat difference. It is far greater with the headers.

On a side note I painted them with a High engine heat enamal and they are starting to rust already... Its been about a year:nono:

Well duh it is physics, the thick cast manifolds hold the heat, headers are at most 14ga. heat soak through that is fast and then dissapates to the engine bay. But you seem to think that on a stock truck that maybe puts 200HP to the wheels is going to lose any power from heat from headers :lol:

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
Well duh it is physics, the thick cast manifolds hold the heat, headers are at most 14ga. heat soak through that is fast and then dissapates to the engine bay. But you seem to think that on a stock truck that maybe puts 200HP to the wheels is going to lose any power from heat from headers :lol:

Ha no I was not commenting on the loss of horsepower...just heat output. I was just answering what I thought the OP was asking... Sorry for the confusion.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK guys the bolts are not the type that lock but there the type that one has a 12 point head now should I use regular washers with lock washers would it help? And the gaskets are silver looking I had read on another post the brand name starts with a P now my buddy said the stock ones leaked so he dropped over $60.00 dollars for these so they should be good also the flanges are real thick which I like.

He had them bolt to his stock Y pipe but im thinking of seeing if this muffler shop that built some headers for my sons BMW.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Percy's? if so those are good.

Yes that is the name of these gaskets that came with these headers he also painted them with high heat paint and here in H-town we don't get snow so no salt on the roads here. What about using lock washers so headers won't come loose?????????????????????

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really no necesary, just check them after 50,100,500 miles then every year after that

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really no necesary, just check them after 50,100,500 miles then every year after that

Sounds like a plan. I would love a hood like yours since im going to have my hood and roof painted I should buy one now but when im close to getting it something comes up and I drop the money on something more important.