Head gasket replacement 1998 K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any visible cracks - particularly at the valves?
None that I can see, but I’m taking them out of the vinegar now, gonna clean by hand and inspect closely. The metal parts all up to be in pretty good condition for a motor of its age, and I’ve tried to really baby it in the time I’ve had it, (besides not changing the intake gasket in time).

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flat tappet lifters matter. Everything else you just want to keep in order until you've had a chance to inspect it.

If you'd just nicked the shaft on that power steering pump, I'd say "run it", but that's pretty trashed. I'd replace it.

Stuck power steering pulleys aren't uncommon. I broke mine as well. The pump was bad, so if I remember right, at that point I just pitched them both in the scrap metal bin and bought new.

full
Thx!

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, Hot Wheels- because of your quick identification of that, a few minutes ago with a great view of the block here, I realized that several weeks ago, I did in fact install my new water pump, one side with gasket, and the other side without. no clue what was going on that day, but I’m glad that worked out!
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So, Hot Wheels- because of your quick identification of that, a few minutes ago with a great view of the block here, I realized that several weeks ago, I did in fact install my new water pump, one side with gasket, and the other side without. no clue what was going on that day, but I’m glad that worked out!
You must be registered for see images attach
Another thing about the Vortec water pump: you need to use aviation permatex on the bolts, because a couple of them go into the water jacket. It WILL leak otherwise; ask me how I know! I got to do the water pump on my Burb twice in about a month, because of that, and bad gaskets/pump the first time. Also you need to check the six bolts in the rear cover plate for tightness. Doesn't take much torque because they are small bolts. But I have seen new and reman pumps come in with some of those bolts loose! There is a torque spec for them..... however I looked at both my shop manuals and googled it and all I could come up with is 8-10ft/lbs. They're 1/4-20 bolts so not much force is needed. Hope this is helpful....