Head gasket replacement 1998 K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Me and this pulley do not see eye to eye.
You must be registered for see images attach
Dude, they make a tool to remove that pulley. Then you can access the bolt that holds the pump on. It's a press fit. Meaning, it takes a tool to pull the pulley off of the shaft. If you don't want to spend less than $25 for 1, AutoZone will rent you 1 for free.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick question- I have this cardboard template to keep the pushrods and rocker arms to where they go back in the same exact spot, but I didn’t realize the exact same nuts should go back in the same spot they came off of as well- is it going to be a big problem if the nuts got mixed up and went back in different spots than they came out of? Thanks.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
‘Nother question here- everything in this engine is coated with this nasty brown sludge from coolant and oil mixed together. I am cleaning the valve covers and soaking the cylinder heads and cleaning them, but for the part between the cylinders, should I just wipe it out as best I can? I’m already planning on changing the oil a couple times after I get it all back together, just wondering about the cleanup for the parts that don’t come out of the engine- thanks.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should want to drain more coolant out of the block. There is a lot in the lifter valley, that needs to be soaked up and you might want to pour across it some cheap oil and drain the pan a couple of times.
take the lifter spider off to clean the valley. A quick rinse of the lifters in mineral spirts and back in the same hole. Clean the spider bolt holes, and loctite them when you put that all back together