Head gasket replacement 1998 K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1998 K2500 5.7L 250,000miles. I know the folks who will see this have been commenting on my other thread where I was trying to gather info on a new motor vs doing this. Well, long story short, the evening of the same day I was at O'reillys looking at crate motors, I got a large tax bill, sooo......we're opting for plan B to replace the head gasket, and that'll give me time to do some more reading on the subject anyways before plunking down a bunch of money. Last thing I was able to find TDC compression thanks to your advice, and the project will stay like this over the next few days while I drive around a Volvo with a chicken decal on the back of it. Here's the supplies I gathered, any thoughts on the selection of gasket sealant? This came recommended by the store manager but I can easily swap it back out for a different kind if its wrong. Thanks all, have a good week.
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You need a head gasket set, not just 2 head gaskets. Probably going to need a new QD fitting for the heater hose on the intake manifold as well.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what’s going on here with these wires, looks like a ground? I’m seeing all this old tape and wondering if any of this should be replaced or if they were just trying to put a primitive heat shield of some kind in place or something

Attachments

• 17406B2B-49C5-4195-9A70-80659976DB78.jpeg
    17406B2B-49C5-4195-9A70-80659976DB78.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 4

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what’s going on here with these wires, looks like a ground? I’m seeing all this old tape and wondering if any of this should be replaced or if they were just trying to put a primitive heat shield of some kind in place or something
That is factory heat shielding tape.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Dumb question of the day here- broke this right in half trying to pop something off the bracket next to it- what is this piece here that goes down into the valve cover, so I can go grab a replacement? Thanks