Handheld tuners.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have a 'Hypertech' handheld tuner for my '98. Yea, I know, not the best or most complete way to mess with a vehicles computer, but I've got it. It's locked to the VIN of a vehicle with a dead engine. My Q is, can it be unlocked or zeroed out so that I can use it on my '97? I don't think that I can swap the PCM or ECU due to the fact that the '98 is an auto, & the '97 is a stick. Does anyone here do this, if it's even possible, or know of some one who can? I'm just looking at this thing thinking that's it's $400.00 just sitting there, which I've had for about a year. Be nice to be able to use this, even if it's not the best way to tune.

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried calling hypertech?...or is there anyway you can hook to your 97 and unprogram (deprogram) it from it?...Because I ran into this problem before and I had to unlock it from my old truck before I could use again.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
By unlocking it, do you mean plugging it into the original truck, set it all back to stock, & then see if maybe it'll be able to reprogram the second truck?
No, I haven't called Hypertech. Good idea! DOH!!!
I just asked you guys this first. I have confidence in this site. Kinda figured someone could help.
Thanks!

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By unlocking it, do you mean plugging it into the original truck, set it all back to stock, & then see if maybe it'll be able to reprogram the second truck?
No, I haven't called Hypertech. Good idea! DOH!!!
I just asked you guys this first. I have confidence in this site. Kinda figured someone could help.
Thanks!

Yes sir by setting your old truck (your 97) back to stock, and then you should be able to program your 98. Try this first then if this doesn't work call hypertech.
I had the hypertech max energy and had this same problem and this resolve it^^. It's weird that you pay all that money and you can only program one vehicle.
You're welcome my good sir