Grinding noise. Goes away in 4wd.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jehu

Reaction score
I have a terrible grinding noise going on in 2wd that completely goes away in 4wd. It sounds like something is trying to engage.

'93 Chevy 4wd / 5 speed manual.

I can't tell if the noise is from the xfer, driveline or front diffy. Is there some kind of typical problem of this nature? How can I figure this out?

Eeyore

Reaction score
Best guess is the slider in the transfer case. There are 'plastic' pads on the shifter fork, and when they wear out the extra clearance lets the slider dance around when the transfer case is in 2WD.

tosborn82

Reaction score
Best guess is the slider in the transfer case. There are 'plastic' pads on the shifter fork, and when they wear out the extra clearance lets the slider dance around when the transfer case is in 2WD.
Is there a good "Fix" for this?

I have a very similar issue on a 88 K1500, 4Spd Manual.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine does this at 30mph + but only in 4wd, it's quiet in 2wd. Could it be something in the front axle?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
holy funk this started happening to me today while going to pick up my daughter. 1997 k1500 burb. I think it's coming from the 243c transfer case. sounds like it anyways and it dosent actually do it all the time. some other weird **** started happening as well. abs and brake warning lights both lit up. windows wouldnt roll up. we had a hell of a rainstorm and it appears that some water got in the dash fuse panel, maybe. I'm grasping at straws here but i have a fan blowing up under the dash to dry anything out. could also have been spilt coffee from the passed. windows started working and the brake warning light went off, it's still full of fluid and the brakes work.

no F'n codes either! maybe it has something to do with the incorrect DEXVI fluid that might be in it. I dunno....

But I do have another xfer case on stand by. ;-) just gotta wait for the weather to break. and give me a good day to tackle it.

oh and I just remembered that the speedo started to seem delayed and incorrect and the tranny seemed to have been stuck in 3rd.... BUT no codes.... which leads me to believe a mechanical failure of some sort and maybe... some water intrusion but I honestly cant see anything actually wet.

some beach.

Al

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
well, all of the idiot light are gone. I didnt do a damn thing either. I think the grinding I heard was the starter... I started the truck a few times and it happened twice since I got it back home. I think water has infiltrated something but I cant find it at all. nothing. the grinding sounds identical to turning the key to start with the engine running. things have been fine and acting normal for a few hours now.

**** well this intermittent **** is difficult to pinpoint. time to get a second vehicle on the road.... such as my sierra! haha we also have a 2010 mazda sitting here.

Al

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. Wouldn't have to be, though.

I'd inspect the front drive shaft first. And the transfer case could also be a source of noise.
Thanks, it’s silent in 2wd which is why I suspected the front axle. Had it regeared by a shop and the stock front axle didn’t make a peep. So idk