No 4wd and grinding noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skiahfrazier

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 94 GMC K1500, 5.7 L, 4L60. I have been trying to get 4WD to work. First, no light when floor shifted. Changed the actuator in the front differential/axle. Now I get the light. But 4Hi or 4Lo does not seem to engage the front axle still. Plus, 4Lo, when trying to get back to 2WD, grinds. Anyone have any experience with this? I fear transfer case issue.
Thank you

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the front driveshaft spinning?
Are you stopping to shift?
Every manual transfer case I've ever owned would grind a bit, but less if you stopped and put it in neutral when shifting in or out of 4wd

Skiahfrazier

Reaction score
Is the front driveshaft spinning?
Are you stopping to shift?
Every manual transfer case I've ever owned would grind a bit, but less if you stopped and put it in neutral when shifting in or out of 4wd
I am stopping and putting in neutral to get to 4wd low. Doing same to get out of 4wd low. I do not get any power out of front wheels. On a gravel hill, only back wheels spinning, nothing up front. I was in 4 lo and reverse and got stuck because front wheels were not helping. I want to jack up all 4 wheels to test but only have the truck scissor jack at the moment.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or just jack up the front end and shift the transfer case to 4wd (engine off). If you can turn the front driveshaft by hand, it's not in 4wd. Maybe disconnect the shifter from the transfer case and see if you can get it in by moving the lever on the case by hand.

Skiahfrazier

Reaction score
Lifted it yesterday. All wheels turning in 4Hi and 4Lo. Went to a gravel/paved parking lot. When first in 4Hi, nothing noticeable. Maybe minute later, it would bind when turning on the pavement. I believe all is working. So, thank you for the advice! I now need a rematch with the gravel hill. Thanks again!

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the manual—

Going in and out of 4LO, vehicle should be moving at 2-3mph and transmission in neutral, then shift transfer case into or out of 4LO.

Good luck!

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
FWIW I hated the grinding when going into 4lo so I got into the habit of stopping the burb,killing the engine(tranny in neutral),shifting to 4lo(no grinding),firing up the engine throwing into gear and proceeding...same thing when going from 4lo to 4hi.