Grill deterioration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PapaGrune

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The grill on my 95 3/4 ton eclb has deteriorated beyond repair. I know all of it will have to be replaced. Head lights, turn signals grill etc. Tail lights are foggy.

What would do this? My dash is in great shape. Cup holder plastic looking a little rough but not bad... Sun light?

I am pretty sure it has been outside most of it's life. Bold holes strip, corners of lights break off. Epoxy has helped over the year.

Time to do something. I would think OEM might be better than aftermarket. .. eBay has some cheap ones

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it has been outside most of it's life.

That'll do it.

It's just the years of sun and exposure. Anything made of plastic will have a hard time surviving 20+ years outdoors.

As far as a grille, I'd definitely recommend sticking with OEM. Check http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ for them, they usually have some of the best prices. Amazon has some good deals as well. You can locate the part number you need on GM Parts Direct, and then type that number into Amazon.

As far as lights, there are some decent aftermarket options. The trick is to stick with stuff that has similar reflectors as the OEM stuff, at least when it comes to headlights. Check out this thread if you have some time, it's really long but there's a ton of good information on aftermarket composite lights.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
The grill on my 95 3/4 ton eclb has deteriorated beyond repair. I know all of it will have to be replaced. Head lights, turn signals grill etc. Tail lights are foggy.

What would do this? My dash is in great shape. Cup holder plastic looking a little rough but not bad... Sun light?

I am pretty sure it has been outside most of it's life. Bold holes strip, corners of lights break off. Epoxy has helped over the year.

Time to do something. I would think OEM might be better than aftermarket. .. eBay has some cheap ones
Here is a piece of advice, I ran smoked headlights for a few months and was blind at night. Switched to OEM clears and I could see everything! I don't know what you're headlights are like now or if they are smoked. But if you do go smoked get some high quality bulbs. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thatfordguy

Because I can!!
Reaction score
Skip smoked and go with a clear lense with a black back if you want a darker look

PapaGrune

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am ot into smoked any kind of lights.
I have not given aNY thought to HID lights

PapaGrune

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
a lot of good info on the links. I went through the smoked lights on my watercooled VW'S. I miss a couple of them. But life goes on and my butt won't sit down or get out of low car's anymore

GMT400Tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you go replacing things I suggest simply fixing the root cause of the problem.

The hazy lens is due to a thin layer of UV degradation to the plastic, and can be removed by a thorough polishing because the damage is only on the outer surface of the lens. If the damage is especially bad it may require some fine sanding and then polishing.

Every lens on my 2000 Tahoe looked the way you described when I purchased it, but I simply removed them from the vehicle and spent some time sanding and polishing until they were as good as new. After I restored them I keep them from further UV damage by periodically applying a thin layer of wax.