Gramps truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will never depends on only one vehicle. Okay, so the number I have is excessive, but I'll always have at least 3. A car, a truck, and a toy.
I totally agree. I'm also excessive and not "normal" in my vehicle count. But if you already find yourself in possession of two, especially if the worst is at least a semi-reliable beater, that's a pretty good spot to be in. With a baby on the way, this gives you more options and a safety margin. You'll finish the truck build eventually, there's no rush.

Mikes98

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
Just some ramblings ... my humble opinion here ...

I wouldn't do anything "custom" to it; the truck looks to be in excellent shape. What I *would* do is peel off those side window "shades". Stepside beds are kinda rare to begin with but, matched with the extended cab and the small V-8, my guess is it probably puts the truck in a "rare" category. What's the trim level? There's a website VIN decoder called "Compnine" and the results also tell you how rare your truck is, compared with the total model year production, based on the options on it. Compnine has been around for awhile and used to be free; today, for $5, you can get up to 5 decodes without a subscription. I had my '98 GMC done just to get a list of the options on it ...never did I expect it to fall into any kind of "rare" category but: "Rarity ...There are 4 1998 P/UP C1500 Reg Cab Std Box vehicles (0.004%) matching your exact options list. There are 10 (0.010%) with at least as many options." Thus sayeth the rarity proclamation of the report. My truck is one of four produced out of the entire 1998 model year.

The wheels are definitely cool, again, because you don't see this setup very often. The 5.0L is what it is ...I have one in my '98 ...decent power but not a motor worth "hot rodding". It seems the goofy (and cheap) factory Central Sequential Fuel Injection either works or doesn't; I'm guessing you replaced it with the upgrade kit. The one in my '98 seems to be working well enough not to convince me I need to do something about it. The 4L60E is about bullet proof ...maybe consider installing a "Corvette servo". Be wary of catback "performance" exhaust systems, especially with the extended cab; they can create a lot of annoying resonances. Been down that road.

I'd go through the truck and do the "unglamorous": change all the fluids & filters, exchange the transmission fluid (that replaces all the fluid), install new plugs (just get the OEM AC Delco's) and wires, cap and rotor (in these days of distributorless ignition systems, it's easy to forget about servicing the distributor ...I had a rotor fail on me because I'd forgotten to swap it out ...it lasted about 5 years before it failed). I'd replace the three O2 sensors; they may not be triggering a CEL but they are kinda like spark plugs in that they degrade slowly over time. I just swapped in a new set (in conjunction with installing a new cat/headpipe/midpipe assembly); the difference is noticeable.

What amazes me are how many folks stop and ask me about my truck. I've had more than a few unsolicited offers of purchase. These last of the GMT400's still remain some of the best trucks GM made ...certainly way better than the faulty techno-crap laden behemoths GM is cranking out today ...and the clean style of these last of the 400's is still attractive.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep the Honda. A paid off car is an asset. It can serve as a spare to get you to work(no work no money) sell if in a major bind or use as collateral.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guay...I do keep going back and forth back and forth.
I never see myself getting rid of the truck if the motor goes then It will just be upgrade time.

The truck is a little better for a car seat and I'll be dropping our toddler off next year on the way to work for pre-school.

One thing I am about to do is tear the driver door apart.
The window will only come up when you hold the front think it maybe jsut off track and I need to put a lock cylinder in the door handle and a new door lock rod. Meanwhile I'm upgradign door speakers to kicker.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So gathering parts to fix the door lock. I actually found a spare key fob. Put a fresh battery in and walla programed right up. Had chevy cut a spare key for me.

Is there cylinders out there you can build to current key? I haven't found any on the typical parts sites. If I order a replacement cylinder it will come a new key..so the drivers door will be different from the passenger side door and ignition.

The cylinder out of the driver side door is completly missing.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So little boy will be here in two months and with a todler its hard to find time to do work.

I need to do front brakes but I need to fixe the hvac distribution box. Have to pull the dash to do this.

Really thinking about putting the honda back up for sale and selling it to fully fix the truck since I'll be getting a decent car later in the year anyways.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been reading about pulling the dash and replacing the lower HVAC distribution box and it doesn't seem terrible but very involving.

My local mechanic said he would replace lower hvac box and replace compressor and recharge system for $500 labor.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sit out in the truck on my lunch, re adjusted the fuel gauge after filling up just now, swapped the odometer from the ORIGINAL cluster lol.

You must be registered for see images attach