Good info wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan1raysouth

Reaction score
I have a 5.7 vortec L31 in my yukon. looking to rebuild the whole bottom end. What would be the best overhaul kit to purchase? what are things that are a absolute need to replace. Im getting all of my overhaul rebuilding instructions from haynes overhaul manuals, youtube and general knowledge from others online who have more experience then i do. so if have experience in rebuilding these engines. your info is wanted and and will be greatly appreciated.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
How many miles on your engine? Do you already have the tools needed to do an engine build(ring filer, Piston ring compressor, good accurate 1/2" drive torque wrench, etc...) If you have over 100K on the engine which I am assuming, go with a .010-.030 overbore when getting the block machined, have the heads checked for cracks(magnaflux'd) and get them refreshed too(valve stem seals, valve guides, etc...) as far as a "kit" look on Summit's website there are plenty that are complete engine rebuild kits. However, if you have not done this type of thing before, ask questions, and always be open to learn. Some things that people overlook when rebuilding is Freeze Plugs(expansion plugs). Take your time and take pictures during the teardown. That is only so you can reference what goes where.

New head bolts are a must!!!, do not skimp out on things and or skip things. With any engine build weather it is a stock rebuild or a 5,000hp nitro/meth monster you just need to take your time and verify things are within spec. Sealed Power brand pistons are very good for stock rebuilds and mild built performance motors.

List for a "stock" rebuild:

Piston Rings
Pistons(.010-.030 over)
Thrust Bearings
Main Bearings
Cam Bearings
Cam Upgrade(?)
Oil Pump
Oil Pump pickup
Distributor Shaft
Timing Set(gears and chain, Stock replacement is fine)
Timing Cover(the stock Vortec one is plastic)
All associated gaskets(Fel-Pro Brand)
Push rods

I am sure there is more, but off the top of my head that is what I can think of.