Gmt800 electric fans mounting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wondering for those who use these, how are you mounting them? Im looking for ideas before i tackle it in my 95.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I trimmed off all the extraneous plastic from the fan assembly until it would sit flush with the core support. Then, I trimmed the stock fan shroud until it was little more than a top plate. Drilled 2 holes through the shroud and the fan assembly and fastened with the plastic panel retainers. Did basically the same thing on the bottom with the lower shroud.
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not GMT800 fans, rather a MarkVIII setup.

And a Flexalite for the Camaro.

I've had zero issues with the angle aluminum. But I think a GMT800 setup covers the whole radiator so not sure of this approach would work for you or not.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I trimmed off all the extraneous plastic from the fan assembly until it would sit flush with the core support. Then, I trimmed the stock fan shroud until it was little more than a top plate. Drilled 2 holes through the shroud and the fan assembly and fastened with the plastic panel retainers. Did basically the same thing on the bottom with the lower shroud.
more pictures? this looks almost factory!
and where did you gor for "flush with the core support"? just trying to flesh out how you did it

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a bad picture, but maybe it'll do. I cut off all the extra plastic from the fan assembly on the top and sides until I was left with the basic rectangle without all this other stuff. You can still see some the copper sharpie lines from where I marked some of the cuts. It's hard to see from this picture, but there's a plastic ridge that protrudes out from the perimeter of the fan assembly toward the radiator that I also trimmed off. Trimming all that off allows the fan assembly to fit flush to the radiator core (not the core support as I said above). These fans are the exact size of the radiator core if you have the 34" radiator. To hold the fan assembly in place, I just trimmed down the stock upper and lower fan shrouds until there was just enough to provide support for the fan assembly, then drilled a hole through the old shroud and the new fan assembly on each side top and bottom (4 holes) used the plastic panel retainers to hold the fans to the fan shroud. Probably sounds kind of hokey, but it's super solid.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a bad picture, but maybe it'll do. I cut off all the extra plastic from the fan assembly on the top and sides until I was left with the basic rectangle without all this other stuff. You can still see some the copper sharpie lines from where I marked some of the cuts. It's hard to see from this picture, but there's a plastic ridge that protrudes out from the perimeter of the fan assembly toward the radiator that I also trimmed off. Trimming all that off allows the fan assembly to fit flush to the radiator core (not the core support as I said above). These fans are the exact size of the radiator core if you have the 34" radiator. To hold the fan assembly in place, I just trimmed down the stock upper and lower fan shrouds until there was just enough to provide support for the fan assembly, then drilled a hole through the old shroud and the new fan assembly on each side top and bottom (4 holes) used the plastic panel retainers to hold the fans to the fan shroud. Probably sounds kind of hokey, but it's super solid.
Ah! I see now. Thanks!!

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did one on a friend of mine. Kinda rush job but swapped over the gmt800 rad so fan hooks on rad tanks and welded brackets on top to bolt it.

* this was rushed so top piece is not pretty*

Im about to install 800 electric fans into my 88 and 99 3500 so ill try to picture the process with details and be appealing to the eyes lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
We did one on a friend of mine. Kinda rush job but swapped over the gmt800 rad so fan hooks on rad tanks and welded brackets on top to bolt it.

* this was rushed so top piece is not pretty*

Im about to install 800 electric fans into my 88 and 99 3500 so ill try to picture the process with details and be appealing to the eyes lol

I'm guessing you went with a diesel surge tank too?

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the one in pic and my 88 both got everything from the gmt800s including the surge tank.

My 99 3500 still has the factory radiator so Im installing it differently. And Im hoping to start on that one this week

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
On the one in pic and my 88 both got everything from the gmt800s including the surge tank.

My 99 3500 still has the factory radiator so Im installing it differently. And Im hoping to start on that one this week

I'm guessing those aren't exactly a bolt in? 6.5 trucks got an LS style surge tank, not sure if you knew or not.