Giving my ride some much needed attention.

Keep or Lose the VortecMAX badge.

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the last picture you can also see the Gentec auto dimming compass mirror I just installed in it complete with homelink.

Through the years and the various vehicles I have had, I have always held onto this van. It has been around since 98 and we made many roadtrips in it and had many outings with now deceased relatives. Its kinda sentimental as well as still a great roadtrip machine. I moved the rear interior ligting circuit to a frame mounted auxiliary deep cycle battery and have a 1,500 watt continuous marine grade inverter hard wired under the back seat. I can run everything but the rear a/c blower without fear of killing the starting battery. Running down the road the AD-244 200a alternator charges both batteries up.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the last picture you can also see the Gentec auto dimming compass mirror I just installed in it complete with homelink.

Through the years and the various vehicles I have had, I have always held onto this van. It has been around since 98 and we made many roadtrips in it and had many outings with now deceased relatives. Its kinda sentimental as well as still a great roadtrip machine. I moved the rear interior ligting circuit to a frame mounted auxiliary deep cycle battery and have a 1,500 watt continuous marine grade inverter hard wired under the back seat. I can run everything but the rear a/c blower without fear of killing the starting battery. Running down the road the AD-244 200a alternator charges both batteries up.

Sounds like a dependable rig. Nothing wrong with sentimental value. I have a similar experience with my burb. Accept I was 3 when my dad got it. It's been with us practically everywhere. Take care of it and enjoy it each day you can lol. Although the more you use it the more of a risk it is for some dumbass to take a cheap shot. My plan is use my burb til I get a new yukon. Then the burb will be my local/weekend vehicle. I already had my scare last feburary...... insurance is a joke.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got fed up of fighting the engine for clearance and decided I wanted to clean up the engine compartment really well. Still working on the harness. After a couple hours of work, the engine is now on the stand. Comes out quick when you have already yanked the headers and the front clip. Everything attached to the firewall is coming off. Going to simply remove the whole engine wiring harness. Need to swap out the leaking hydroboost too. Going to upgrade the headlight harness and redo my fan harness as well as my trailer brake wiring to clean everything up. Battery tray and PCM brackets have been removed. Need to find an 01-02 Express PCM bracket while I am at it.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also since the van will be emissions exempt the next time it has to go through an inspection. Getting the marine intake back on it. I have a welded closed EGR tube to install between the manifold and header to make it appear to all be there along with a bracket I made that attaches the now dummy EGR valve very near the stock location so everything appears in place for the visual inspection.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mercruiser GM marine intake manifold with Standard Products FJ1166 or 2012+ Ford Raptor 6.2L V8 injectors. Injectors happen to be genuine Ford parts in the boxes. They are big enough to support over 500 hp on E85. Might repaint it black or might go with red like the LT4s. Not sure yet.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Battery tray and vacuum ball cleaned up along with the inner fenders. Tinking of scruffing the paint that is actually still left and putting something like truck bed liner on both inner fenders and the firewall with everything out of the engine compartment. Its had battery acid run down one and power steering fluid down the other and both took paint off leaving areas that can rust. I think the truck bed coating is thick enough to help cut down on some road noise through the inner fenders and some heat through the firewall.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mercruiser GM marine intake manifold with Standard Products FJ1166 or 2012+ Ford Raptor 6.2L V8 injectors. Injectors happen to be genuine Ford parts in the boxes. They are big enough to support over 500 hp on E85. Might repaint it black or might go with red like the LT4s. Not sure yet.

Nice work. I am new to the L31 (96 Tahoe) and need to study but happy to see there is an intake upgrade - I thought not so with stock heads. So that be better or ?? Than the Edelbrock injection package? Like those Taylor wires too.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is,but those marine intake manifold setups are rare and pricey. Dude's making me a little jealous showing it off though lol
Not trying to make anyone jealous. I have searched high and low to find these on a budget for the past 8 years now. Have a couple of oddball ones too. I have the dual plane MPI intake that fits numerous intake setups.