Ghost Brake Fluid!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docs

Reaction score
1997 ext cab silverado 2wd 5.7.....Front half of master cylinder keeps going low..damn near dry!? Funny thing is, there are no leaks!? WTF....any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Depends on how fast it leaks at the wheel cylinders. If pedal feels fine, then is seepage and the fluid can be absorbed by the brake dust. Could even be seeping at the line where it attaches at backing plate and mixing with dirt/crud there.

Is easy to check the leak where it attaches at booster. Unbolt the master cylinder and pull forward and look. No need to remove the brake lines for this inspection. Can look under dash at firewall and see if seeping there, too.

What am I missing? Why don't some members post there vehicle info? Is it a thing, or what. Post in the signature, so that info is always there.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What am I missing? Why don't some members post there vehicle info? Is it a thing, or what. Post in the signature, so that info is always there.
Not my first choice. Some guys have multiple vehicles, so I don't know which of the vehicles in their signature they're talking about.

Others put a vehicle in their signature, then start a thread about their buddy's car, or their co-worker's truck...and again everything gets confused.

Putting the vehicle info in the title works...unless you're me and can't remember the title by the time the thread loads.

Put the vehicle info in the text of the first post, first thing.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1997 ext cab silverado 2wd 5.7

Greetings Docs, and Welcome to the GMT400 forum!

Instead of a 'one size fits all' brake system across all GMT400 models, there are
different brake options driven by how much weight they are going to have to deal
with. I've attached a chart I extracted from the '97 Factory Service Manual to
show you the differences. (See attached.)

If you could go to the inside of your glove box door and tell us which JBx or JDx
code is listed there and post that, then the brake gurus in here will *know* what
you are working with, can share their experience and tell you what to look for.

Cheers --

Attachments

• JB & JD brake flavors - 97 Chevrolet Light Duty CK Truck Service Manual-Vol 1 and 2.jpg
    JB & JD brake flavors - 97 Chevrolet Light Duty CK Truck Service Manual-Vol 1 and 2.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: