Fuel Relay Voltage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fusible links don't always show when they're blown. Basically they're a too-thin wire with an extra-thick layer of insulation, designed for the wire to safely melt without melting through the insulation. Sometimes they actually work that way and you can't tell they've blown.\
All true. "Officially", four wire gauge sizes smaller than the wire harness they're protecting. Insulation that won't burn when overheated.

They're a bad idea that lasted too long.
They're a GREAT idea in certain circumstances. They'll accept a BIG (short-term) overload without damage. Even slow-blow fuses won't do that. A self-resetting circuit breaker won't do that without interrupting power long enough to cool down and reset.

Perfect for mission-critical applications that don't like power interruptions or the voltage surges that can create.

jb99

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it was the fusible link. I'm getting 12v to the relay now, and the pump is working as it should. Fuel is spraying out the TBI but still no start, so now I'm off to diagnose spark issues.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it was the fusible link. I'm getting 12v to the relay now, and the pump is working as it should.
Success.

Fuel is spraying out the TBI but still no start, so now I'm off to diagnose spark issues.
Make sure the plugs aren't fouled.

A spark-tester calibrated for HEI would be an excellent tool to diagnose potential no-spark.
www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZXAWK/?coliid=I3S98D7T1J0RLJ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jb99

Reaction score
Make sure the plugs aren't fouled.

A spark-tester calibrated for HEI would be an excellent tool to diagnose potential no-spark.
www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZXAWK/?coliid=I3S98D7T1J0RLJ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Brand new plugs as of a week ago! You read my mind though, because I ordered a HEI spark tester earlier this afternoon. Distributor cap looks fairly new, but I cleaned the contacts anyway.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plugs could have been put in two hours ago; if the TBI unit is spraying gasoline and the engine didn't start...they're potentially fouled now.

Remove for inspection, blow 'em dry with compressed air. Use a propane torch if you have to to remove all the gasoline.